Tomato advice, pleeeeease!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato advice, pleeeeease!

On our plot, my Wife(Pam) and I (Ken) are growing two types of toms. We have 1 row of Italian Costoluto Fiorentino, and 1 row of French Marmande. The Costoluto are doing famously! The marmande are growing ok, but as soon as they start to turn red, it looks like they develop blossom end rot. Now, I think I am watering enough, and I am pretty certain soil is ok. Any advice?

Zebedee
    "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Don't know Zebedee but my Marmande are the same. All the other toms are fine - Gartenpearl, Gardeners delight, Ailsa Craig and Golden Sunrise. Another grape had the same problem with Marmande so that may be where the problem lies.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Marmande can be a bit of a git like that. I know several people who have this very problem so have stopped growing them.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for that Nick. I think I'll skip them next year and just grow what does well.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanx to all for your advice. Might just stick to the Italian jobs next year.

British by accident of Birth
          Scottish by the grace of God
          ============================

Zebedee
          "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Think maybe Marmande are just very 'heavy drinkers' & feeders. I grew one in a large pot as an experiment a couple of years ago & got about 3 or 4 lovely big fruits off it as I stopped it at after just a few trusses formed. It was outdoors but maybe they perform better in a greenhouse over here except in the odd very hot summer like this?
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

My Double Rich and Green sausage suffered from the dreaded blossom end rot (BER) yet Orange Queen and Brandy wine did not. All were grown under much the same conditions.
              I think that some tom varieties are a tad more prone to BER.
              Greater attention to watering needed during their early growth is probably called for.

Comment

hi all, i have been growing Marmande for several years, Yes they do have a problem but its not blossom end rot. Don't know what it is but theres always a flaw in them, but they still seem to grow on ok.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

In my limited experience, not a big cropper and some imperfect fruit but a firm favourite for taste.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X