Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

very greedy caterpillars on my brassicas...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very greedy caterpillars on my brassicas...

Ive been growing cabbages and purple sprouting for the first time ever this year, and have been really depressed by the attentions of the caterpillars. As fast as I pick them off and squash them, the butterflies arrive again and then of course more caterpillars. Everything is decimated - and they really stink too!. My question is - is there any way of growing them successfully without spending a fortune on micromesh and without spraying them with all sorts of nasties? If not, I think this might be my last time...
    Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted...

Same here!! Well to an extent anyway. I'd been religiously going to the allotment at least once a day to pick off the big ones and squirt the babies and little ones with garlic fire water. That was going ok till I went away for a long weekend and the ones I missed have grown into huge hairy things!!!! Now with all the horrible rain and mud I can't get to the lottie so they'll be having a right old feast. Next year I'm definitely going to net everything
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I've been on ebay hoovering up cheap net curtains. I'm going to turn them into a net for next year. (Oops shouldn't have said that, now I've got competition!!)

Another thread suggested debris netting which is a sight cheaper than micromesh. I looked on ebay and you could get it for £30-£40 for a roll of 3m x 100m, cheaper if you can settle for 2m widths but I can't remember exactly. If you don't need as much as that you could go halvsies with someone local?
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Good idea for looking for net curtains on ebay. Can't believe I haven't thought of it.
        I am on my way there now...
        BW
        James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

Ikea do net curtains. IKEA | Curtains & blinds | Curtains | LILL | Curtain
          £2.99 for a pair of curtains 3m by 2.8m each.
          I reckon that sounds reasonable, you could make a fair sized brassica tent for that. Hmm, I was going to go to Ikea soon anyway...
          Last edited by Demeter; 09-09-2008, 09:57 PM.
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

cheap net/voile curtains

Try your local charity shops.

Comment

My debris netting was 2m width @ 73p a metre (eBay). I wish I'd got 3m width though. 2m just isn't wide enough to cover fully-grown brassicas.

I also use voile panels stitched together. You should be able to get them from QD type shops. Or Ikea, like in Demeter's post above.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I had my spring cabbage plants planted recently and totally netted with debris netting and somehow the ******'s got in and I have been picking them off for the past week - so nothing is infallable.

Comment

I noticed yesterday in the sunshine (yes, we had about 20 mins of it) that the Cabbage Whites were mating again
                  Loads of them fluttering around, chased by mad-as-hell Two_Sheds
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X