Peas over winter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peas over winter?

I have just bought a box of peas. I was just stocking up for spring (gives husband less of a shock!) but when I read the boxes it said that they could be planted from Sept - Nov in the west and southwest. Now, strictly speaking we are in the w/sw but being just on the edge of the massif central we still get cold winters. BUT (but, big but) this was the last box on the shelf. That means that all the local old boys have bought the rest..... (and not the spring planted varieties) Is it worth a go? (seeds are not so cheap here as in UK). Might it be better to put some in pots which I can move into the greenhouse if it gets too parky?? They are a dwarf variety max 40cm, so perhaps a regular 25cm terracotta pot would be big enough for a fair few?
    What does everyone think???
    Tx

I'm growing some mangetout and purple podded as an experiment. I started them off indoors last month and am starting to plant them out now. What have you to lose but a few peas? I am going to stock up on horticultural fleece too so the frost won't get 'em.

Comment

Some pea types are winter hardy, have grown them before in the past for an early crop the following year. Personally I don't think that they were worth the effort as they got a fair bit of wind damage in January at a time of year that I'm not too keen on running out and sorting them! However, you can also sow them very early spring which I have found is a better option.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Snadger recommended Felton First and Meteor to me so I've ordered the FF with my Marshalls onion garlic and sweet corn for next year. The seeds are on their way and I'll sow the FF outside, the Onions and garlic are arriving in a few weeks. I'll brave the weather for a fresh pea any day
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I'd go for it, whats the worst that could happen
          Somedays your up, somedays your down, but you have to make the best of everything

Comment

I grew some meteor late last summer (planted very late July) and cropped them til Christmas.

I also planted some in Oct/Nov which were for overwintering and they did produce peas earlier than I expected this spring (I think about early April). But I did let the slugs have too much fun on them to get much off them.

Might be worth putting down a few to experiment this year (and try to ask some of said old boys what they do). If it works, buy 2 boxes next summer - 1 for winter and 1 for spring!!

Comment

Well, as an experiment I have just (over) filled two pots with seed. About 30 in total, so any loss will be minor, and any peas a bonus! I think a double row in the sunny melon spot are calling me now.... (rabbits ate the melons)
              Many thanks.
              Tx

Comment

I usually sow some Meteor in November - though I'm after some Deux de Provence if anyone knows of a supplier - anyway, they tend not to suffer from wind damage when planted so late as they're quite short until the end of March. I do pop a fleece over them though if a long period of frost threatens.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I have just bought a tray of over winter peas for £2.99, There must be 30 plants about 3" high and they are going to planted this week

It is the first time of trying these, If it works great.

I am tempted to put them in a large pot and grow them in the greenhouse.
                  Has anybody else grown them in a greenhouse?

Brian.

Comment

Mine are flowering

Does that matter? or should I take off the flowers? I've grown them under cloches and they are doing really well - but the weather is confusing them I think :-)

Comment

I planted some meteor peas directly in the ground last week and they are already showing...I would go for it and see how you get along

Comment

Originally posted by Tazmanfishing View Post
                        I am tempted to put them in a large pot and grow them in the greenhouse.
                        Has anybody else grown them in a greenhouse?
                        I sowed some for the polytunnel border late Jan / early Feb and they work really well. Grew Poppet that way this year and they were mightly tasty in May. Was going to sow some direct this autumn but not emptied that bed yet and all the others are full of either late summer stuff or brassicas / salads for winter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by NettyUK View Post
                          Does that matter? or should I take off the flowers? I've grown them under cloches and they are doing really well - but the weather is confusing them I think :-)
                          If you leave the cloches on you may get some peas I don't think you'll be able to keep them for overwintering now though, if that's what you were trying to do. Perhaps sowing a little later next time, like now! would be a good idea.

Comment

My over-wintering meteors ae flowering too! I guess the warm weather has confused them - so I'll harvest these ones and then add some more for proper over-wintering.

Comment

I'll be sowing my Meteor tomorrow
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X