Elephant Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant Garlic

I've just had a delivery of Elephant garlic cloves in the post & as I've never grown them before wondered if anyone on here has & knows when's the best time to put them in etc.?
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

hi
    never grown it myself but found this on internet:

Position: full sun
    Soil: any soil
    Rate of growth: average
    Hardiness: fully hardy

Elephant garlic is a great addition to any herbaceous border or vegetable bed. Each bulb is approximately 5-6 inches across and a single clove of elephant garlic can be as large as a whole bulb of ordinary garlic. Closely related to the leek the elephant garlic has a much milder flavour, much sweeter than ordinary garlic.

Garden care: Plant from November to mid January (if frost permits). Space the cloves 15cm apart in rows 30cm apart. Uproot as soon as the leaves start to fade and dry the bulbs before use
    The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul.

- Alfred Austin

Comment

I've grown them before, plant in October and harvest July/August. Wasn't that impressed with the flavour but they did grow HUGE
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
        I've grown them before, plant in October and harvest July/August. Wasn't that impressed with the flavour but they did grow HUGE
        Hello MH
        Done the same. Beautiful huge bulbs which are ideal for shows but when it come to taste, you really need a lot of immagination to think it is garlic.
        Regards
        Don Vincenzo

Comment

I just pinched this off the interwebby: Elephant Garlic (allium ampeloprasum) - The Fat Impostor - not a true member of the garlic family (allium sativum) but closer to the leek to which it bears a close resemblance in flavour.
          A Perfect Roasting Garlic - Very fat cloves that fail to be diminished by even the most aggressive cooks and their hot ovens.A fresh, juicy, mild and sweet flavour. Ideal for baking & roasting.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mmmm. Roasted garlic, my favourite way to eat it.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I just plant it when i put the other garlic in - Oct/Nov time. just remember to plant it deeper (2-2.5 times the height of the bulb).

Ready about the same time as other garlic too.

I grew it for a couple of years but there;'s only so much roasted garlic you can eat so don't bother anymore.

I also tried it in pots but it wasn't so successful and if you plant it too late it doesn't split into cloves so beware!
              There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
              Happy Gardening!

Comment

Planted mine around October last year. I actually put it in amongst my flowers rather than using up a space in the veg patch with it. It grew beautifully and I pulled it up in July. I think it's yummy ~ not as strong as garlic, just different.

I gave my mum one of my cloves and she didn't remember to plant it until Feb/March this year. She just got a really large onion style lump of garlic!

I have loads of bulbils that I'll be planting this year from the bulbs!

Oh and they were in quite rubbish dirt tbh and some were in sun and some weren't,...they seem pretty resistant!
                Last edited by Curvy Vixen; 12-09-2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll wait a bit & put them in towards the end of October then. I quite like the idea that they only have a mild garlic taste & fancy trying them roasted. I like normal garlic but it usually gives me indigestion so as 'Elephant' garlic is not true garlic i thought I might give it a try.
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X