Green In The Snow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green In The Snow

My find of the year, an easily grown salad green (would probably stand stirfrying well) with a unique horseradish taste. I'm surprised more hasn't been written about this.

Whats your best find?

Oriental Salad Leaves - been fantastic, peppery taste and still going strong after six weeks.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi JazzDuke, is Green In The Snow the name of the salad leaf? I've never heard of it but it reminds me of the saying about 'never eat yellow snow!' I haven't found any brilliant new crops this year but am trying purple sprouts for the first time but think mine may be too slow to get anything decent this year as I started them a bit late.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi there. I haven't tried Green in Snow although I think I have some seed somewhere. Agree that oriental salad leaves are brilliant. I was given some Giant Red Mustard seed which has done really well and can't get enough of it. Fortunately I have some in the garden with no other brassicas around so can save the seed. Looks great on the plot as well.
        Last edited by Earthbabe; 18-08-2006, 02:56 PM.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My oriental salad leaves haven't done much - I have had one plant come up that seem to be continually growing stem with pairs of leaves coming off it -with the amount of rain we've had and the warmth to go with it I expected it to be going great guns...
          How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Would love to know more about it JazzDuke. What is it. Where can I get it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I got mine from Tamar Organics but I believe it is also in the Organic Gardening Catalogue.

Re oriental salad leaves in general, I think it was a bit too hot for them, especially if like me you are growing in containers, autumn and spring are a good time for them.

Comment

Hi JD - am I right in thinking I can plant some salad leaves in pots over the winter, of course, bringing them into the greenhouse when its really cold? dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

If you have soil beds in your greenhouse dexter there is nothing to stop you planting some salad stuff direct, or other veg come to that. Early carrots you could sow some aroung now & they'll be ready for chrimbo along with the tatties. Also, don't forget a pot of mint & maybe some parsley for those tatts as well.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

There's also Arctic King and All The Year Round lettuce, there's a clue in the names.

Please note, I might sound authoritative, but I am a total novice who is always willing to share an opinion.

Comment

Best find? Fat Hen in my front garden. It's a looooong story
                      Head Burro
                      www.wildburro.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X