Early Onward vs Hurst Green peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Onward vs Hurst Green peas

Being a bit of a pea novice, last year I tried Early Onward (they sounded relatively 'normal' in the Dobies catalogue! ).

This year I tried a different variety called Hurst Green , but they really didn't live up to my expectations this year - nowhere near the yield of Early Onward (well not so far anyway!), and just not as healthy looking. Also my Early Onward grew very tall and the Hurst Green are these stumpy looking plants!

I don't know if it's the dry weather we've had this year, or something I've done wrong, so I wondered if anyone else had grown these types before and what success/troubles they've had.

Just wondering next year whether to go back to Early Onward next year after this year's pretty awful crop....

It's been a funny year all round Slug. I grow Hurst Greenshaft & they are a lovely pea really sweet but we didn't get to have many for sunday dinner ..... cos I ate them at the lottie I tried one of the sugan snap peas this year & they were a disaster so I think I'll be going back to my good old greenshaft.

The best way to do it would be to grow them side by side then you can compare them equally.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Ohhhh Nick, we have had loads of lovely sugar snap peas, they are reallly nice and taste lovely
      Slug, i personally prefer Green Arrow and Oregon sugar pod, although many people will disagree and have there own personal favorates

Comment

Hi Slug I grew Onward this year and got a bumper crop. Have been growing them for the last four years and have never been disappointed. I have also grown Kelvdon Wonder but they did'nt produce half as much as the Onward.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys!

I have to agree Nick.... the Hurst Greenshaft do taste GORGEOUS! I just didn't get many... I have been scoffing some straight from the pod in the garden.... they did seem much sweeter than my Early Onward last year, but I remember last year having so many peas that I had to freeze them. I haven't had that complaint this year!

I might try growing some peas for mange tout - is there a special variety for that, or should I just pick the pods early? I tried using some of my peas this year as mange tout, but have to say I wasn't very impressed! I thought they tasted a bit bitter.

I think I'll definitely do the Early Onward next year, with something else - like you say Nick... if I do them side by side then I'll know. Perhaps it was just a bad year.

Bramble - is this the first time you grew Kelvdon Wonder?

Comment

SOS - I don't mean to be daft, but what exactly is a 'sugar snap' pea and how does it differ to a 'normal' pea?

Still got a lot to learn in the pea department

Comment

Slug it is just a different name given to mangetout. They like to confuse people!
              [

Comment

Ah.... I wondered if that was the case, but I wasn't sure! So the fact I tried to eat my 'normal' peas as mange tout probably explains why they tasted a bit bitter!

Comment

Lesley, when you say "they like to confuse people" I hope you are not reffering to me
                  Slug, you have to buy the special mangetout (sugar snap) peas as these are grown specailly for eating whole

Comment

I grew Early Onward this year and they performed brilliantly - loads of beautiful pods bursting with lovely peas - though mine only grew to 3 ft. Have never grown Greenshaft so cannot compare but would recommend E.O to anyone.
                    Also grew Alderman - grew to 6ft then got folded in half by a summer gale - but still producing large well filled pods - one haulm has gone for a walk and is growing up into my viburnum opulus (Guelder Rose) tree.
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Slug, yes it was my first growing Kelvdon Wonder. I had no complaint about the flavour and they cropped quite well but i would still prefer the Early Onward.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

thanks everyone for the great info! I'll definitely continue next year with the early onward!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X