No announcement yet.

self saved tomato seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok - don't mind hard work. I can watch it for hours!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by wheatleys wheels View Post
      I have a brief question: I really dont even think about the cross pollination thing.... I'm too new to gardening that I'm just happy if I get fruits. Is it something I really should be thinking about? or does it really not matter too much as long as I enjoy what comes off the plants?
      Cross pollination only matters if you are saving the seeds.

And if you are saving the seeds cross pollination comes under the heading of "experiment" in my book - as long as you've the space / time etc to bother with experiments! If you are restricted in how much you can actually grow, then obviously you may prefer that you are guaranteed to get something good off what you are growing...
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
        Cross pollination only matters if you are saving the seeds.

And if you are saving the seeds cross pollination comes under the heading of "experiment" in my book - as long as you've the space / time etc to bother with experiments! If you are restricted in how much you can actually grow, then obviously you may prefer that you are guaranteed to get something good off what you are growing...

absolutely, whats more anything that is edible is good in my book
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hello
          Interesting post
          I don't know about saving seeds, but every spring tomato seedlings spring up in my greenhouse border. I regularly grow some of these on and they crop every bit as well as those from the packet. They seem to be the small sweet fruited variety.

Terry
          be good to gardeners

Comment

If they are Gardener's Delight, the most commonly grown small one, they will always come true to seed as they aren't a hybrid. My next door neighbour's been saving his for yonks - he's 80 now!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have saved some seed from the only tomato plant that didn't get blight, ripened early and tasted really fantastic. I've no idea what variety, i bought it as a plant from a garden centre earlier in the year but decided it was worth a go. Have no idea what will happen next year but that is the fun of gardening.
              We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
              Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X