No announcement yet.

Butternut squash experiment:

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my squash plants were touched by frost last week. So thats it for this year. I was a bit late with planting them, and didnt get anything worth mentioning. So note to ones self, sow earlier.
    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

These are the butternuts I planted this year. I kept the seedlings (4 plants) indoors until early May then planted them out. Most of the leaves have now died back to reveal the bounty beneath & some are enormous, probably weigh more than 4 kilos & some haven't ripened yet. These butternut will keep over winter so no shortage of "butternut soup" for us!

Cheers Saffer
      Good food ends with good talk - G.Neighor 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Saffer View Post

These are the butternuts I planted this year. I kept the seedlings (4 plants) indoors until early May then planted them out. Most of the leaves have now died back to reveal the bounty beneath & some are enormous, probably weigh more than 4 kilos & some haven't ripened yet. These butternut will keep over winter so no shortage of "butternut soup" for us!

Cheers Saffer
        wow!! all that from 4 plants?
        looks like i may need to dig up the lawn after all!
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Just for the record, I've had a really good crop of Golden Nugget (mini pumpkins), Mars (head size pumpkins) and Harrier butternuts (good for the weather, that is 'better than expected given all the rain & cloud we had'). I choose varieties suitable to cool weather, btw.

Sown in March, planted out in May. They took ages to get going, but I've now got about 20 fruits. So, worth doing.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that with us Two Sheds. Looks like i'll be growing some Harrier next year then. Especially if this weather is going to be the norm for a while.
            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I don't really have room for squash, and I'm not a huge fan of them to eat, but they are such fascinating plants that I grew two around my sweetcorn this year.

The foliage kept the soil well covered and definitely reduced the need for watering - we didn't have such a huge amount of rain as other areas and the soil is very light.

The sweetcorn grew well - I got the same crop as normal - and I got three medium sized squash with little effort. One plant stopped itself after one fruit, the other would have covered Britain if I had let it...

So, not a huge amount, but then it was a "bonus crop", if you like.

I tried Uchiki Kuri and Sweet Mama.

Comment

I can dispell the myth that the plants won't set fruit from shop bought seed! In 2007 i planted some shop bought butternut seeds and the germinated, grew, rambled out of a pot and produced 4 fruits. I had two plants and let them grow until they got hit by frost and then roasted the produce.

These plants got virtually no attention and even survived a dry pot for a couple of weeks. Just remember if you're not sure try it in a pot and grow a certainty in the veg plot. In the event that both plants fruit and survive then invite some friends round for dinner - everybody wins!
                www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                www.outofthecool.com
                http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X