Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato seed problem

Hello,

Over the last few years I have been growing my own tomatoes.

Slowly they have become bum shaped and heart shaped. This was intentional(well kind of).

Although rather childish we love it. This year a problem has struck. No seeds inside the hearts and bums.So to speak!

As you can guess, we would like to save the seeds so that we can continue to grow these lovely tasty fruit.

Has anyone got any tips/ideas as to what we have done wrong and how it might be possible at this late stage to get some seeds. By the way these are grown in the greenhouse, not outside so we have a little more growing time. Plus loads more fruit on the vines. Still green though.

Thank you.
    thanks

the pumpkin cuddler

It does not matter what our specific fate is as long as we face it with ultimate abandon.

Hi, This can be a problem when saving your own seeds. When saving seeds you need to choose a tomato with pleanty of seeds in. It looks to me like you have slowly bred these tomatoes to be seedless by saving seeds from tomatoes which have small amount of seeds inside.
    Anyway this is a new one on me seedless tomatoes shaped like bums.

Do you know what variety they were to start off with ?? maybe you could start from some fresh seeds, unless you can find some tomatoes with seeds in. However there is another problem your seeds taken from these tomatoes will grow to be simular to the parent plants and in your case bum shaped and seedless

This guide might help you when saving your seeds (click here)
    Thanks

Comment

There is an old fashioned variety of tomato grown by my alottment chums which is kept going by cuttings. They can be grown from cuttings quite easy most times of the year and if you have heat and light and cuttings are taken at various times you should be able to keep the strain going, or so i am lead to believe!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger do your *Allotment chums* keep these tomatoes growing over the winter as it is VERY VERY hard to overwinter tomatoes and can cost a fortune in heating

Comment

Originally posted by seedsforsuccess@fsmail.ne View Post
          Snadger do your *Allotment chums* keep these tomatoes growing over the winter as it is VERY VERY hard to overwinter tomatoes and can cost a fortune in heating
          As far as I know various growers on the allotment site have taken cuttings at various times of the year and kept this show variety going. They all have heated greenhouses. I only know this because I spotted someone scuttling between greenhouses recently with small potted tomato plants and mentioned that I felt it was a bit late for planting! Its amazing what these showmen will get up to, to keep a show winning strain!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

cuttings are the way to go

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X