No announcement yet.

A new thread for growing Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can still buy garlic in the shops for planting now. Picked up some elaphant garlic at Wilkinsons yesterday and it went in todayit said plant autum or spring. It's alongside garlic I put in at the end of Nov and the other gralic I bought in november then forgot about until I found it and stuck it in the ground last weekend. We like garlic
    "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
    So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" Brian O'Rourke

Comment

Last year I planted some Elephant garlic in the autumn, which did well, lovely huge bulbs/cloves. I also bought, because I couldn’t refuse a bargin, some EG cloves in the spring. Duly potted them up... and nothing...not until the autumn! They are now resident in the Polytunnel and looking good. Wondering if they are most suited to autumn planting?

Also noted Elephant garlic produces hard shelled small bulblets?! Bulblits! Hoping they will produce something!
      Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I put garlic down in the autumn - a small number, the green shoots are flopping and yellow on top. Some others which I planted on 21st December are looking good, that is, the shoots look OK so far. Is there anything I can do to stop these also going yellow or to make the already yellow ones better?

Any ideas welcome.
        Last edited by maytreefrannie; 22-02-2009, 08:17 AM.
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

After several years experimenting with garlic and elephant garlic (they are 2 different "animals") I've found the best results from October planting of all cloves. They seem to spend Oct-Feb building a healthy root system ( a clove of elephant I accidentally dug up about 2 weeks ago had a root system about 9" across and about 3" deep), and the shoot only appears as the temperature rises in Spring, trying to pre-sprout garlic will surely only drain the clove's resources when it has no roots to replenish itself. I'd suggest sticking them in the ground, without pre-forcing and they'll sprout when they feel up to it.
          Family motto "semper in excretum"

Comment

Do you all use all the segments when planting or do you not bother with the tiny ones?

Comment

I have autumn planted garlic, one variety is doing brilliant (casablanca ) and the other (cristo ) is almost non existant. I also have some that was started off in pots in Jan and I have just started to plant some of it out on the lottie. Wouldn't worry to much about cold weather as I believe the snow and ice are back with us next week.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                Do you all use all the segments when planting or do you not bother with the tiny ones?
                Plump ones only, the smaller ones go for eating.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X