Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed sowing equipment - what do I really need?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicola.P View Post
    Do you really need a propagator if they are going to be in the light?
    I've never used one. I put things in pots on the kitchen windowsill (there, you see, I AM a kitchen gardener!) with a small poly bag over until the first seedlings show. Then off with the bag to stop things getting mouldy and stand well back - some things will grow up your trouser leg in minutes. (Or did I dream that?)
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I always start my chillies and peppers in a heated propogator but only my earliest toms as I find that they can get leggy very quickly if you don't pull them out as soon as they germinate. A good compromise can be those dead cheap plastic trays (or even clear supermarket punnets) which will warm the soil a bit and give you a good start - that or as Flum says, plastic bags work well.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        Out of all my equipment, I'd go for root trainers and a big tray - anything else can be made/bodged/pilfered from around the house but a good big tray of compost and roottrainers gets things off to a fine start. Plus you can take it into the kitchen in the winter and sow your seeds in the warm with a coffee and the radio!

Don't forget I'm starting an Onion Thread just after Christmas, for those who have difficulty with the Allium family or who just want to join in sowing stuff over the festive season - everyone welcome [shameless promotion]
        I'm in, I'm going for spring onions and leeks, just to see what happens

I use anything and everything i can bodge together for seedlings, orange boxes from the greengrocers are great, big plastic storage box lids for a tray, and HAVE to have a fork ( kitchen /eating variety) for lifting seedlings, great for the delicate ones as they fit just nice between the tines.
        Last edited by BrideXIII; 18-11-2008, 01:20 PM.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

dry food scoop

I bought a dry food scoop from Morrisons for £1.50 that I will use next year to fill my pots. As it's nice and deep I hope it's going to be better than the trowels I have been using.

Going to have to start my loo roll collection soon
          Last edited by nilling; 18-11-2008, 01:13 PM. Reason: sp
          aka Neil

Comment

When I planted in small pots ages (years) ago I used a kitchen tablespoon to fill up the modules.

Comment

I use spoons, forks, teaspoon handles for pricking out seedlings. I told you - I'm a kitchen gardener!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X