Water collection 2020?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water collection 2020?

We've already used up about half our stored water supply during this exceptionally dry month.
    We have 4 IBCs and a large sump under our patio all of which desperately need refilling.

I see we are in for a few days of decent rainfall so was wondering how everyone else is going about storing their water for the summer and if anyone has any tips re containers they are using?

(We chucked out a rusty old cast iron bath about 3years ago and I could kick myself for not keeping it)

I'm definitely going to mulch more than I have previously.

What's everyone else planning to get around a potential drought situation?
    Last edited by Nicos; 03-06-2020, 12:26 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I have a water tank under the patio, which I have never really investigated, I was going to and even got a pump for it but then I slipped on the lid and one leg went straight down the hole, scared the life out of me . It has been covered with a big pot ever since.
    I need to get a couple of waterbutts and will have lots of random containers hidden around the place.Rest assured as soon as I have installed them we will constant rain and wa washout summer!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

^^^ we'll blame you then!

I just realised that I have about 20 black flower buckets which I will be using for the tomatoes-but they're not quite big enough to plant out yet and I'd not got around to making drainage holes in them.
      I'm going to line them up in the garden and under the leaking gutters() and collect what I can until the tomatoes need them.
      Every little helps eh?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We have no water supply at the allotment so every drop is precious. My methods won't suit everyone but I do manage most of the time without importing water from home, although not at the moment! I have 2 water butts and a blue barrel which collect water from the shed roof (only 6' x 4' so not much) and a bucket that catches drips from the end of the roof, which collects an amazing amount considering. I also have 7 dustbins which are in various places around the plot, with lids upside down so that water collects in them. I keep a stone or half brick in each lid to stop them blowing off. I also have several large drip trays the exact number depends on how many are in use for plants) which I leave on the unused beds or paths, again weighed down with stones, and I use a plastic compost scoop to scoop water up out of puddles. You need to get out there almost before the rain stops to get the most out of the puddles before they evaporate or drain away.

After some rain (possibly about 2mm) this morning, I collected about a bucketful plus whatever went into the water butts.

Plastic sheeting collects quite a bit of water if you have space to lay it out, although getting the water off it into a container can be tricky, and of course it must be anchored so it doesn't blow away. In theory you could bury a container and have a plastic sheet with a hole in the middle that would channel the
        water into the container, although again you would need a lot of space to do this.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I've got water butts of the house, garage and my GH plus I leave tugs/buckets around to collect water.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X