Are these Swiss Chard plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these Swiss Chard plants?

I ordered some Swiss Chard 'Bright Lights' plug plants which arrived some weeks ago. The plants were healthy, and while I was expecting different-coloured stems, I wasn't *too* fussed to see that all of them were green. The plants were planted out and all but one of them are doing very well. However, once they were in the ground and started developing, I thought they looked more like a brassica than Chard. I don't know if I'm being silly or if I've been sent the wrong plants.

What do you lot think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	plant-pic-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	2498084Click image for larger version

Name:	plant-pic-2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	2498085

I grow chard a lot and those don't look at all like chard.
    Bright Lights should have all different coloured stems.
    My chard leaves same colour both sides, yours have a cabbagy look.
    They're easy and fairly quick to grow from seed. Each "seed' will give two or three plants and if you're tight like me you can carefully separate them.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

My leaves have more of a point on them.

Comment

They look more like a brassica to me. Swiss chard has brighter green pointed leaves which are quite soft and don’t produce a stem as yours have done.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Definitely not chard. They're some sort of brassica: the round leaves make me think cabbage.

Swiss chard is the same species as beetroot, and accordingly the leaves at this early stage look just like beetroot leaves (only usually less red).

Comment

Right, just as I suspected :-(

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Comment

Be sure to complain. They may no longer have any replacement plants, but you can at least get your money back.

Comment

Yeah, I've sent them an email. Let's see what they say. Thanks, Ameno.

Comment

It looks like a brassica called Kosaitai to meClick image for larger version

Name:	purplekosaitaipatch.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	2498204

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X