No announcement yet.

courgette flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have marrow and butternut outside. The marrow also has one or two female flowers and males tightly in bud. The butternut has not produced any flowers yet so we will have to wait for that.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Interesting thread this. How do you tell a male from female flower?

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
        Interesting thread this. How do you tell a male from female flower?

Kind Regards..........Rob
        Females have a mini-courgette behind them, whereas male flowers are borne on a long, thin stem.

Comment

Not sure if the original poster has had any developments. With the opposite issue I’m nor starting to get a few female flowers after all males so doing a bit of pollinating to encourage them.

Comment

I just let mine get on with it.
            The fruits produced before male flowers appeared remained until male flowers appeared and then these later fruits begun to swell rapidly while the early fruits have slowly re-absorbed back into the plants.

Comment

I have got a photo of a Turkish Turban pumpkin where the female flower that came out before a male is shrinking away while a later flower has begun to swell into a fruit before the flower has even dropped off. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6017.JPG Views:	0 Size:	308.7 KB ID:	2500497
              Last edited by Plot70; 23-06-2020, 02:59 AM.

Comment

I have planted a pumpkin in a water butt...first time and it is like a Triffid! The male flowers are opening first and then the female flowers. I help pollination by
                using a paintbrush to ensure as many female flowers are pollinated. The main problem is the amount of staking I am having to do to support the plant..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0480 (2).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	794.7 KB
ID:	2503674Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0481 (2).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	828.6 KB
ID:	2503675Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0482 (2).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	2503676Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0483 (2).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2503677 The female pumpkin flower is the first showing the Stigma which looks very different to the male pollen-bearing anther. The female flower is carried on a short stocky stem to enable it to carry the ripening fruit while the male flower
                  is carried on a long stem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X