Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gem Squash - and a warning

Hi,

It's been a while since I posted - though I have been lurking a bit.

I thought I'd share this picture of the polytunnel (which is a bit of a mess but the central bed is doing rather well)

I put about 6 inches of well rotted cow manure in the central bed a couple of years ago and only grew a few tomatoes in it last year. This year however I alternated tomatoes and gem squash - the seeds I got from a South African neighbour. So 14 plants of each - alternated.

I knew they would be fairly vigorous but I didn't think they would take over completely! The squash seem to grow about 2 feet per day and are completely taking over. I don't mind as there is the room to let them tear away though I have to keep an eye on them so they don't smother the tomatoes. The amount of good compost in bed seems to allow them all to thrive.

My daughter would like to sell the excess squash through her honesty box so what would be a fair price? I'm thinking £1 each?

hope everyone is keeping well..
    Attached Files

Nice to hear from you again, I hope they are going to be a lot bigger than in your picture if you want a £1 for one lol.

Comment

Thanks - that's a bit of an optical illusion - it's about 5in's across so far. I don't think they grow much bigger. And they are impossible to get here too. Maybe £1 is a bit much tho...

Comment

How about 2 for a £1.

Comment

Hi -Great to see you again!

Cor-those look incredibly healthy plants...well done!

I'd go with 2 for £1 too

this site sells organic for 75p each.....

https://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/...tle-gem-squash
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That sounds perfect. I just want her to instil a bit of entrepreneurial spirit - She's only 12 and the leaves of these things are quite prickly so some incentive is needed.

Comment

Nice concept!... I hope she's successful
              How about her printing off a few recipes to go with them for peeps to take if they wish?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X