Potato advice needed .

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato advice needed .

I now have my spuds going well since we had the rain after the dry spell .
    I hilled up my spuds around 3 weeks ago but now there is a large amount of plant stalk showing .
    Should i hill up again and if so how high should i cover the small leaves part way up the plant stem and should the angle of the mound be a steep slope or gradual ? .
    These are very basic questions but i am just into my 3rd year of veg gardening and realise i have a lot to learn and it is better to ask than spoil a crop you have worked hard to grow .

You want the ridges about 8 inches from the top of the peak to the bottom of the trough by the time you are finished. I usually earth mine up two or three times, then just let the grow after that.

Comment

It sometimes depends on what cultivar of spud you grow.

I remember growing Pink Fir Apple and the 'haulms' grew 5 foot high! I had to put a framework around them, similar to what I would use for broad beans just to confine the tops. I remember I had a cracking crop from them though.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What variety are you growing Ivanhoe(great name I used to love that tv show as a kid lol)

Comment

I am growing Pentland Javelins and Wilja .
          l looked at them this morning and on both types flowers are now just visible but are nowhere near opening .

Comment

Burnie .
            My user name comes from the village i live in Conisbrough .
            The story goes that Walter Scott was travelling through Conisbrough by train and saw the castle on the hill in our village and that gave him the idea for his novel .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X