No announcement yet.

How are everyones tatties doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They’re lovely potatoes,nice baked in foil on the bbq I couldn’t find them this year. I still haven’t lifted any of mine,I might have a look soon

Comment

Not sure I’m going to get a great crop from my tatties this year. The charlotte plants in particular are much smaller then usual. Look healthy enough but pulled one up today to see what was going on and the potatoes were fine, just not many and mostly small. I planted them at Easter and would normally be starting to furtle and take a few tatties to start using them up but think I’ll need to wait for a bit and see if they get a bit bigger. Not a problem to leave them in a bit longer I guess. Is it worth adding some fertiliser to see if that helps or is it too late to do that.

Comment

Leave them a bit longer and water them.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

All mine in buckets and repurposed compost bags this year and the Charlottes, the only ones I've lifted so far, have been great. Nice big spuds and the tiny ones get whizzed around in the frying pan and eaten like sweets :-)

PFAs' foliage got badly slugged so I'm not optimistic, going to look in on the Desirees next week as they're going over now. I also found amidst the onions a row and a half of gorgeous Desirees that I'd missed last year, which was a bonus.

There's also a plastic tub which will be interesting... last year's Apaches resprouted in store; I pulled off the sprouts, chucked 'em in a bucket in t'shed and used the spuds. Forgetting the sprouts, I found them in March, still plump, and popped them into compost, and they grew! I'm intrigued to see what I get from them :-)

Comment

My first earlies that were planted in the greenhouse border were amazing, but the first earlies planted outdoors got caught by a late frost and never seemed to really recover. Although I got a crop it was disappointing. We've just started on the second earlies (Wilja) and, touch wood, they are really good so far. The tops are just starting to die off.

Comment

Well my tatties got plenty watering today. It poured all day!

Comment

My soil is bone dry

most of my Charlottes have died back (I leave them in the soil until I need them) but the maincrop are still in full leaf and looking good.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

No sign of charlottes dying back but usually take them out about now. Definitely keeping them in a bit longer. Main crop ok but plants also smaller than usual. Would leave them until August anyway.

Comment

My Kestrel are finally starting to die back. Been digging them for about 2 weeks now, and been getting lots of potatoes from them. Too many large ones for my liking, though, and they are quite floury (turns out they actually are a floury variety, but I didn't know that when I planted them). Shan't be growing them next year.

My maincrop Rooster are looking good. Lots of healthy leaves.

My single row of Violet Queen (grown from supermarket potatoes) are looking somewhat worse for wear. This variety alone seemed to be a real magnet for slugs, and half the plants have been almost completely stripped of leaves, and one plant has even been finished off completely, as slugs chewed through the stems at ground level.
                    I'll probably just dig them up once I've finished digging my Kestrel, and see what they've managed to produce.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X