• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my fork at the ready......CHAAAARGE
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

carrots & onions

carrots and onions grow well together, indeed the onions help deter carrot fly (although garlic is even better)

I also have heavy clay soil and got round the problem by starting the carrots off in a 50:50 mix of sharp sand (not builders sand, the lime kills them) and multipurpose compost contained in toilet roll inners (ie the cardboard tube) on a sunny window sill. Once they are large enough to handle ie thin them to 2-3 seedlings per tube and after a couple of weeks plant them out

I do this by using a bulb planter to open up a hole in the soil and then fill this about a third full with more of the sand/compost mix before placing the whole tube (with seedlings in it)into the hole. Gently firm round and water using a rose. I fleece mine for extra protection, especially in spring.

hope this helps

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
        ....................I was planning on putting my carrots and onions in alternate rows, apparently it's meant to confuse the carrot fly!.....................
        I thought of doing that in my two raised beds...........the problem as I see it, is that they both like different soil conditions!
        Onions like a rich loam with lots of organic material present whilst carrots like a sandy loam without manure!

If grown in blocks next to each other it will hopefully give the same effect and I can doctor the soil to suit the crop!

PS I can't grow carrots without the use of enviromesh or or fleece............I've tried but they always get munched by the carrot fly grub!
        Last edited by Snadger; 18-11-2008, 07:07 PM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
          Got my fork at the ready......CHAAAARGE
          That's the spirit

Comment

Smuff, if you're soil's not good and you just want a small crop anyway, then they do well in containers. I've grown Parmex in big , shallow, containers , filled with compost. with good results.
            Early Nantes in deeper pots do well too.
            Whichever way, hope you get some nice carrots.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by kitchengardner View Post
              carrots and onions grow well together, indeed the onions help deter carrot fly (although garlic is even better)

I also have heavy clay soil and got round the problem by starting the carrots off in a 50:50 mix of sharp sand (not builders sand, the lime kills them) and multipurpose compost contained in toilet roll inners (ie the cardboard tube) on a sunny window sill. Once they are large enough to handle ie thin them to 2-3 seedlings per tube and after a couple of weeks plant them out

I do this by using a bulb planter to open up a hole in the soil and then fill this about a third full with more of the sand/compost mix before placing the whole tube (with seedlings in it)into the hole. Gently firm round and water using a rose. I fleece mine for extra protection, especially in spring.

hope this helps

Kitchen Gardener
              Indeed it does; I feel a grand experiment coming on for next year. Some carrots in tubes and the rest in sandy/compost filled trenches. With onions. And fleece.
              At this rate there won't be much room left for the soil

For clarification; do you then thin out to one seedling per tube or leave the 2-3 seedlings in the same tube?

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                Smuff, if you're soil's not good and you just want a small crop anyway, then they do well in containers. I've grown Parmex in big , shallow, containers , filled with compost. with good results.
                Early Nantes in deeper pots do well too.
                Whichever way, hope you get some nice carrots.
                Thanks
                I was going to hedge my bets and try some in some big pots. That way I can, almost, be guaranteed something.

Comment

carrots & onions

I do grow mine in blocks rather than truely interspaced, but it is still in the same bed and I haven't had any problems with the soil, I find using the bulb planter technique lets me create a local soil environment to suit the individual plant.

Mind you I am growing for eating not show so am not after giant/perfect specimens

Quite agree that some kind of barrier is essential, especially as I am a diehard organic grower. I also find garlic spray is an effective deterrent, especially when I plant out, thin or harvest. Simply crush a few cloves and pour on 1pt hot (not boiling) water cover and allow to stew for about an hour. I then strain and put into an atomiser. This keeps for about 4 weeks in the shed.

Regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

carrot thinning

Smuff - I leave 2-3 seedlings per tube. It means if one dies you still get something and I find that the carrots will push each other out and still grow fine at this density. I have tried leaving 5-6 seedlings per tube but this lead to much smaller carrots.

Regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

Originally posted by kitchengardner View Post
                      Smuff - I leave 2-3 seedlings per tube. It means if one dies you still get something and I find that the carrots will push each other out and still grow fine at this density. I have tried leaving 5-6 seedlings per tube but this lead to much smaller carrots.

Regards

Kitchen Gardener
                      Ok. I'll give it a go.

Comment

What i want to know is. Do you top your carrots at the lottie, and throw the green on the compost heap. If you do, would that not attract the carrot fly. It's just something that i thought of this year, while doing just that .
                        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

carrots on the heap

Vegnut - Unless your heap is right on top of where you grow your carrots it shouldn't be a problem but if you are not sure simply push them just underthe surface and it will mask the smell.

If you are really paranoid (like me ) then a quick spray with the garlic spray I described yesterday will definitely solve the problem. However, it is more important to spray it over the carrot patch when you harvested in the first place as carrot fly can pick up the scent of fresh carrot at over a hundred yards! Mind you a simple barrier of horticultural fleece and a few sticks (think windbreak)around the patch is the best defence, just make sure the bottom edge is just below the soil

Regards

*************er

Comment

My carrot tops don't last very long................the chooks luv em!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

kitchen-gardener, how far apart do you plant your loo rolls with the carrots in them?
                              Last edited by womble; 19-11-2008, 08:15 AM.
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

carrot/loo roll spacing

Originally posted by womble View Post
                                kitchen-gardener, how far apart do you plant your loo rolls with the carrots in them?
                                I plant mine 2" apart (between the rolls) in all directions in a block fashion and then harvest alternate ones once the visible top (not the leaf) gets as thick as my thumb. I leave the remainder for about another 4-6 weeks, depending on the time of year, to get full size carrots.

Regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X