French beans open ground or pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French beans open ground or pots

I have been growing growing my 2nd corp of dwarf french beans. They are each in 4" pots and forming flowers.

Can I plant them out in the same patch where I am about to dig out my bean sowing from earlier this year which appears to be ceasing bean production. I can add growmore to the site. I have no open ground/soil in the garden that I can use.

It's plant out in the same patch or I have to leave them in the 4" pots. It is the Safari variety of bean. I would prefer planting out if possible for easier watering etc but am asking which would be the better option please. Thanks.

Plant them out, they'll be fine.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

I grow my runners in the same place each year so I’m sure your beans will be fine.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Beans do better in the open ground so plant them out. The same place won’t matter, my Dad always grew his beans in the same place for years and always had a good crop.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

French and runner beans aren't very prone to soil diseases, so you can usually plant them in the same place with no problems (broadbeans and peas do need rotating, though, as both are prone to root rots).

Comment

Beans and peas naturally fix nitrogen in the soil (those little white bulbs on the roots). So it's best to cut them off just below the surface and leave the roots in if you can for whatever crop follows.
            There will be no harm successional planting in the same bed.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will plant them out when the current heatwave is over. I think they may be better in full shade still in their pots for the next few days with 33 degrees forecast for tomorrow. I know I don't want to be out in full sun in that heat, So I am assuming it's the same for the plants though I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                Beans and peas naturally fix nitrogen in the soil (those little white bulbs on the roots). So it's best to cut them off just below the surface and leave the roots in if you can for whatever crop follows.
                There will be no harm successional planting in the same bed.
                That's a bit of an old wives' tale, I'm afraid.

Yes, the roots of legumes fix nitrogen, but that nitrogen is all used to make the plant and, especially, the seeds (seeds are high in protein, and protein requires a lot of nitrogen).
                There isn't any nitrogen actively stored in the roots, so if all you leave behind is the roots you are adding very little nitrogen to the soil indeed. You would need to dig in the entire plant, as you would with a green manure, in order to actually increase soil nitrogen by any measurable amount.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X