Shallot question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallot question

I grew some shallots this year but vandals destroyed my plot and I am left with approximately 3lb of usable shallots.

My question is....can I replant these in the spring or will they just go straight to seed? I fear this may be the case but was just wondering as it is pointless storing such a measly ammount

Also are shallots heat treated to stop them from seeding?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Hi Snadger, you can save some of your shallots for next year, I have done in the past. Just put a few in a paper bag or a net & keep them somewhere cool & dry. I did it a couple of years ago with some red shallots (maybe Red Sun?) & got a reasonable crop from them.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
      Hi Snadger, you can save some of your shallots for next year, I have done in the past. Just put a few in a paper bag or a net & keep them somewhere cool & dry. I did it a couple of years ago with some red shallots (maybe Red Sun?) & got a reasonable crop from them.
      Thanks SueA...I'll give it a try then
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh Snadger that's so awful about the vandals. Apparently there used to be a bit of a problem on our site until a couple of blokes from the neighboring estate got plots. Seems to have stopped now (fingers crossed). I hope you didn't lose much else.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggler View Post
          Oh Snadger that's so awful about the vandals. Apparently there used to be a bit of a problem on our site until a couple of blokes from the neighboring estate got plots. Seems to have stopped now (fingers crossed). I hope you didn't lose much else.
          This was in my home garden! ....Partly what prompted me to get an allotment

No problems with vandals at allotment as there is a massive fence around the site, big steel locked gates and it is overlooked by houses, many of whom are allotment tennats as well

Thought of asking the allotment comittee to put gun turrets on the corners but up til now it hasn't beeen required Lol

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thats even worse. The fact that vandals broke into your garden. Could it be jealousy perhaps.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
              Thats even worse. The fact that vandals broke into your garden. Could it be jealousy perhaps.
              Fraid its ('Acceptable risk) as my greenhouse had all the glass put out as well!

I am a Resident Groundsman at a 43 acre Sports Ground with six football pitches & Six Rugby pitches....we could have over 1000 kids milling around at one particular time and they must have decided to have a shallot fight between them ! .....I must have been crazy to expect a greenhouse to survive with so many kids around anyway...hence the move to an allotment Not really bothered, gets me away from home/work for a while

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Snadger, you're lucky you've got any windows left in your house never mind your greenhouse with all those balls flying around! From the sound of it the only way you will get any peace is on your allotment, good luck with your shallots next year & anything else you grow there.
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                  Hi Snadger, you're lucky you've got any windows left in your house never mind your greenhouse with all those balls flying around! From the sound of it the only way you will get any peace is on your allotment, good luck with your shallots next year & anything else you grow there.
                  Thanks SueA...Its my little piece of heaven!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X