Rust proof leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust proof leeks

Are there any types that are rust resistant to some extent? I seem to struggle with leek rust. And leeks are one of my favourite crops. Last year they got damaged pretty bad but just about survived. This year I lost the whole bed pretty rapidly. Hundreds of leeks. I had predicted it might happen so had a backup which I planted out when they all died in a different bed about 15m away and all of them are starting to look ropey now. I might get a crop but if it's anything like the last lot they will be dead soon

Interested in this thread. I"™ve had rust on my leeks the last two years although this year less severe and am still harvesting them. Planted a couple of types this year think one was Musselburgh.

Comment

Will this help?
      https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=214

Comment

I seem to recall that Apollo has a good resistance.
        Not tried them myself as I get the dreaded thrip instead
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have problems with leek rust and find Oarsman performs reasonably well. They do still get rust but it isn't as devastating as on some other varieties.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I have also grown Musselburgh before and they survived rust. I just removed the affected leaves.

Comment

Do you feed them,I was just reading this in an RHS leek trial report 2008-2009-
              "œA top-dressing of nitrogen rich fertilizer was applied twice and members commented that leeks were heavy feeders. Keeping the plants well fed and growing on, especially during September and October when the mornings were dewy, helped the plants to resist rust."
              I haven"™t added the link because it says not secure for some reason. I use a liquid seaweed fertiliser,it can be watered over the leaves at the same time like a foliar feed.

Comment

Fortunately I have never had leek rust, but if I did get it I think I would try beating it by using a similar practice that is recommended for onion white rot, that is collecting all the waste from, in this case, leeks and steeping it in water, which is then spread over the soil at a time when the virus would be virulent, I don't know if this would work, but if you don't try it I can guarantee that it definitely wont work
                "‹"‹"‹"‹"‹
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Just to add, many years ago an old lady practiced adding minerals to her garden which had clubroot in it and she grew great cabbages, even though they had clubroot, she maintained that making sure that your soil had minerals helped plants overcome a lot of problems, so it might help, I suppose she was growing her plants organically, but doing it at a time when chemical was king
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Large pot leeks and blanch leeks which are grown for show can be an expensive and lucrative commodity.Leek rust can decimate the chances on the show bench.

To combat this, once any sign of leek rust is spotted ,the offending 'flags' can be covered with vaseline.. This stops the spores from multiplying and is thought to stop it in it's tracks. I imagine this would only be feasible on small amounts of large leeks grown for show which were very valuable.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                      Fortunately I have never had leek rust, but if I did get it I think I would try beating it by using a similar practice that is recommended for onion white rot, that is collecting all the waste from, in this case, leeks and steeping it in water, which is then spread over the soil at a time when the virus would be virulent, I don't know if this would work, but if you don't try it I can guarantee that it definitely wont work
                      "‹"‹"‹"‹"‹
                      Rary, I don't think this would work. Rust is a fungal disease, so steeping the waste in water and then spreading that over the soil might actually make the problem worse.

Copper sulphate is permitted here for organic growers. You have to observe the security period, but I find a dose of this early on when the problem first appears pretty well sorts it out.

Comment

Not sure Snoop but I think white rot is also a fungal disease, as I said I have never had it but if it ever appeared in the garden I would give that a try, if it works or not, it has cost you nothing

Comment

Just realised that I didn't explain properly the action to take, if you steep the leek waste, (roots, leaf trimmings and off cuts,) basicly to make a tea with them then run the tea through a sieve to remove the solids, then apply the liquid over the ground at a time that is thought that the leek rust is most active, it is then hoped that the liquid will draw the leek rust to it but as there is nothing for it to attach to it will die off, as I said don't know if it will work, but it costs nothing to give it a try

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X