Own 100s and 1000s tomato seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Own 100s and 1000s tomato seeds

Hi - I haven't been here for a long time, but I'm aiming to stick around a little more and, with your help, improve on what I achieved this year in the garden.

I grew 100s and 1000s tomatoes this year and, boy, did they do what it says on the packet. They are amazingly prolific. Consequently, I would like to grow them again and I'm wondering whether you think they will grown true to seed that I have taken from my home grown tomatoes? The sold seed is quite expensive.

I grow lots of different varieties of tomato and donate plants to the gardening club sale, which raises money to plant up the common bits of the road, put up a Christmas tree for the road etc. and I'd prefer to avoid selling hybrid plants. I gave some "Chilean Rainbow" chilli plants grown from my own seed away last year and they ended up being a hybrid of that and jalapeno. This was a happy mistake as the chillies are awesome, but I would prefer that the 100s and 1000s didn't make a love child with Big Boy!

Welcome back jools, not grown them myself, but they don't seem to be F1 so maybe they will come true

Comment

Hi welcome back they"™re not F1 Cadalot sent them in to the seed swap on here once,I grew them but they"™re very small,one plant would"™ve been enough,I can"™t remember how many plants I grew but I remember the thousands of tiny tomatoes,there was a lot

Comment

Thank you Bernie & Jane.

Yes, they are very small, but they are perfect for throwing in a packed lunch salad. I made the mistake of growing several - there were millions and millions!

Comment

It's not an F1 variety, so it should grow true from seed.
          Cross-pollination is potentially possible, but it's unlikely as tomatoes largely self-pollinate, without the need for insects. This is different from peppers, which do need insect pollination, and therefore are much more prone to crossing.

Comment

Thank you, Ameno. I wasn't aware of that.

Comment

If you like 100s & 1000s there"™s a variety called gold rush currant that are similarly tiny & a golden colour,they taste good too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X