No announcement yet.

2021 plans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to keep the small wild birds on side as they feed there chicks with caterpillars in the nesting season. It worked quite well in the summer.
    Amphibians are also useful for controlling pests as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6104C.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	2513761Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6112C.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	2513762
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Lovely photos. I wish we had newts here - they'd have a lovely time eating all the slugs in my garden.

Comment

We also have frogs and toads as well.
        I have sunk an old bath into the ground for them to spawn in.

Comment

I think my first plan will be to get some potting compost and manure ordered and delivered

Comment

Our manure causes the wheelbarrow to get a bit of mileage on it depending on what pile the riding school driver puts it on.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5679E.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	2513867

Comment

Originally posted by goosander View Post
              Biggest problem for me is getting the compost I am used to. Last season I was short and had to make do with what I could get. The difference between the compost growing the same plants side by side surprised me. Some of the so called composts the plants just stayed the same size. Started growing bedding plants for the boss and thanks to her giving plants to friends I now have a lot of people depending on me.
              Buy most of my seeds from Plant World Seeds which was recommended to me by some one on here and find them very good.
              Bob.
              I had to buy B&Q compost this year, despite having had problems with it in the past. It seemed ok, luckily. I was just glad to get anything at all tbh.

I wonder if the mix changes from year to year, in the cheaper kinds at least. What brand do you rate best goosander?
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I had problems getting compost last year, and in some cases the prices online had doubled, this lockdown, I’ve already had some Jacks Magic, delivered for my tomatoes which I grow in pots.

Also have some more ordinary compost bought from allotment shop, before we went into tier 4, so hopefully I’ve got enough to get started next year anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post

I had to buy B&Q compost this year, despite having had problems with it in the past. It seemed ok, luckily. I was just glad to get anything at all tbh.

I wonder if the mix changes from year to year, in the cheaper kinds at least. What brand do you rate best goosander?
                  I've always bought B&Q Verve never had a problem with it but I don't use a lot of commercial compost so a 125L bale lasts me all year.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My local Wilko were just stocking their shelves with compost, seeds and gardening stuff today so I'll be stocking up on a few bags of compost tomorrow. I've recently received some raspberries, fruit trees and elephant garlic so need to pot them up ASAP.

As to this year's plans on Plot 34? Pull the rotten shed and polytunnel beds down, completely clear the whole site of weeds (3 years worth of neglect) and start again from scratch! The only thing left standing will be my greenhouse by March/April. Hubby will then build me a new shed, chicken run and raised beds. It's going to be a busy year but a fun one too.
                    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

This year I’m building up several quite large areas in the lasagna style gardening, trying to reclaim them from waist high weeds and nettles. It’s going quite well so far and I’ve planted some broad beans in part of it to see if they will help improve the soil. Ultimately my plan is to establish a weed free area that I can plant some autumn raspberries in this time next year. Meanwhile I might try to grow some pumpkins or squash or something like that in the relatively recently manured areas.

Comment

I have had my allotment for a year on clay soil with masses of couch grass. the previous grower got evicted for letting it run to weeds.
                        It was wet and it was difficult to get the clay off the roost so I built a raised bed with blocks if root infested clay with the roots facing out.
                        The roots I did get out of the clay went in the bottom with a thick layer of steaming manure over over them.
                        I topped it with normal soil with sqashes planted in it.
                        I got a good crop and am still eating them now.
                        The compost looks like peat in that bed now.

Comment

Its been a bad winter for growth on my plot as although not totally flooded there is a lot of water in the soil. Although I had veered away from raised bed planting to more traditional means, I now think I may need to embrace beds again. I won't be making the traditional beds with raised sides though, instead I will be 'mounding' the soil in four foot wide beds (topped with cardboard if possible) with two foot paths in between. This should hopefully take me up above the water table and only the paths will be flooded.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger my beds started out flat with quarry tile paths in between then over the years with me adding dalek compost/card they've developed into mounds.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I plan to plant new spices in 2021. I want to grow several varieties of chili peppers, I'll add more rosemary. I also want to try growing cardamom and cumin. I used to buy these spices in a store, but now I want to grow on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                                Snadger my beds started out flat with quarry tile paths in between then over the years with me adding dalek compost/card they've developed into mounds.
                                My plan is to dig out the paths and add the soil to the beds, so this should raise the beds quite a bit.
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X