No announcement yet.

2021 plans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this talk of flooded plots make me glad mine is partway up a hill. I've got heavy lay, and the soil becomes wet and sticky enough in the winter as it is, even though the soil is well above the water table. I hate to think what it would be like if it were actually nearer the level of the water table.

Comment

I plan to turn my greenhouse around so the long side is facing south, and at the same time make a new base for it that incorporates raised beds, so ill be growing directly into the ground for the first time, plus it will give me a bit more head height so I can get maybe another couple of trusses before I cut off the tops of the plants

I have tried growing the plants up into the roof of the greenhouse before, but it just gets too cramped in there, and makes me not want to go in the greenhouse and get a face full of tomato plants, there gets to be a lot of creepy crawlies in there lol, with growing organically

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post

I had to buy B&Q compost this year, despite having had problems with it in the past. It seemed ok, luckily. I was just glad to get anything at all tbh.

I wonder if the mix changes from year to year, in the cheaper kinds at least. What brand do you rate best goosander?
        I use Sinclair no 2 seed compost with added sand and the same brand of compost for bedding plants with a bug killer added, A lot more expensive than the cheap composts but it is a hobby so why not. Emptied out the various composts and some were solid. Went to the Clydesdale Trading services and they have kept me right over the years. Bought some good compost [called mothers earth] but the black flies made me change. Have to grow all my stuff in pots. So used there potato compost and got about 5 times more second earlies than in the usual compost. Bob.

Comment

I'm planning to:

- make no dig beds
          - Woodchip some actual paths
          - Get a nice shed to replace my rotten one

https://ibb.co/JsJrBFG
          Last edited by .commander; 04-01-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

the irony of it is a lot of the stuff the garden cetres buy in from Holland is originally grown in China cos its cheaper so we could always bypass the dutch bit should we want to.

Personally I try to avoid Garden Centres where possible and buy from local nursereys and any bedding I grow my own.

A packet of lobelia for instance usually contains 100's of seeds so will last a couple of years. Also I was checking online potato prices and one of the large companies were selling 1.5kg for about £6 my local shop in town £1-20 a kg ... bit of a difference
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Today I managed to finally buy some bamboo canes at a reasonable price, last year they were so scare and expensive. I’ve also got some seed compost squirrelled away from a garden centre visit last year, most seeds have been bought, but still waiting for 2 deliveries.

Im seeing lots of seed suppliers have temporarily closed websites due to high volumes, and it’s only January!

I’m only growing a few desired edibles this year and leaning more to cut flowers.
              But for some reason I have a desire to grow Aubergines..... I don’t even eat Aubergines.
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X