X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MelanieSW
    replied
    Lots of weeding, and getting the courgette/squash bed ready.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Turned out the three squash plants which were barely growing in order to check on their roots. Two of them had had almost all of their roots eaten by fungus gnat larvae, and the third had lost at least half of them. No wonder they weren't growing.
    The stems where still unharmed, though, and they all still had at least a couple roots left, so I repotted in fresh compost, covered them with plastic bags (both to retain humidity and to keep the gnats out), and put them in my heated propagator. Hopefully they should reroot. I hope they do, as I have no more seeds of this variety, and can't get hold of any more, either.

Also managed to scavenge a free wheelbarrow at the allotment. The top needs bolting back into the base, but otherwise it's in decent condition.
    Last edited by ameno; 22-05-2021, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    I didn't know you had a new mower.
    Between the cold wind and showers managed to get pond plants in.
    Planted up 1 hanging basket.
    Removed some violas still in full bloom from pots to beds.
    Repotted 2 azaleas into bigger pots (removing bulbs from 1 first).
    Got more canes and sweet peas in.
    Collected nettles, got loads this yr. Put into water to make plant feed.
    Last edited by Containergardener; 22-05-2021, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Cut the grass before it rained......did I tell you I have new mower........lol
    Tied up some rather weather beaten Broad Beans that just flowering, only one snappd off, so hopefully I will get some to have with Rice and Bacon, an odd concoction but I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Not much today only weeded my parsnip bed.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Put my squash, tomato and melon plants in the mini greenhouse.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Opened gh door.
    Took mum to couple of garden centres buying plants
    Closed gh door

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Turned the heating on...

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Planted out two achocha plants at the allotment. Tied them in well, as it is very windy here today and tomorrow.
    Also tied in most of the runner beans I planted a few days ago, to prevent them being too battered by the wind.
    Then I dug some trenches where I plan to plant my tomatoes, cut down the comfrey plants, and then buried all the cut leaves and stems in the trenches.

I also put another tray of beans, along with my sweetcorn, peppers and sweet potatoes out on the patio to harden off. I wanted to put out my tomatoes, squashes and melons, too, but I fear it's a tad windy for them at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Cut the privet hedge at home and mixed the trimmings into the lotty compost as it was turned. Pricked out kale seedlings and sown chitted squash.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Did lots of weeding at the allotment. Did all of the strawberry beds and the soft fruit bed, and cut the edges of the grass around it with shears.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I had to go for a covid test first as I am due in hospital for an Endoscopy later in the week, so after that and a walk along the beach, I had plans for the garden, but heavy rain put a stop to that, planted some French Beans in the greenhouse border for an earlier crop instead.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Two of my squash seedlings have had their roots eaten off by fungus gnat larvae (I wondered why they didn't seem to be growing much).
    The tops are still perky, if small, though, so I'm going to try rooting them as cuttings (I have no seeds left of this variety). Squash often roots from the stem, so I'm reasonably hopeful they'll take.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Potted on Coriander and Kales.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Earthed up potatoes.
    Planted out 12 Black Doulting runner beans, and 9 Spagna Bianco runner beans.
    Planted out 39 leeks. Still half a tray left, which I've brought home to plant at home.

"Earthed up" my tenderstem broccoli plants, as they were flopping a bit.
    The black ants are starting to attack them again, just like last year. I was hoping the rain would keep them away, but evidently not. I've put some ant powder down under the cabbage fly collars.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X