Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have much experience of seed mats?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have much experience of seed mats?

Hi all. I am seriously thinking of purchasing an electric seed mat. Mainly to speed up shoots on dahlias.
    But of course to bring seeds on as well. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the subject?
    I would have to put it in the house as no electrical source in my green house.
    Looking forward to your comments.

Oops. Deleted earlier reply by mistake!

Heat may will start things off but once going make sure you can provide enough light or they will get leggy. You may outrun the increase in natural light as season develops. .
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I’ve never used a heated seed mat,dahlias grow well from seed on a sunny windowsill in a cell tray with lid. I use a little bit of rootgrow (mycorrhizal fungi) to help root growth.
      Once the dahlias germinate won’t they need to come out of the heated mat,into the normal life,hardened off into the blowaway or greenhouse. How expensive is the item vs would you enjoy using it,it might be worth the money over five years of use,as long as you want it. It might be good I don’t know,I’d look at reviews of people that have bought one,maybe they’ve compared germination rates?

Comment

I love mine and use it for all sorts of stuff. Getting seeds going, providing my little grow tent with some heat overnight, keeping yeast starters warm. They aren’t pricey so I’d get one .
        Last edited by SimpleSimon; 15-02-2022, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X