Spuds in tubs ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spuds in tubs ?

Does any one grow their spuds in containers ? I’m looking for a way of growing on the plot which cuts out all the “ have l got all of the harvest ? “ and avoids lots of
    volunteers popping up next year.

First and second earlies do quite well in tubs. Maincrop less so.
    They need plenty of water in tubs, though, and it's best to fill them with soil or a soil-based mix, rather than compost.

Comment

Yes , l was thinking of second earlies . That’s a sound idea to use a soil based mix , l had wondered re. watering. Thanks for your reply.
      l was thinking of 2 tubers to a 30 ltr tub . Any thoughts ?.

Comment

I grow a couple of buckets of new potatoes every year. I can start them earlier, for an early crop, because if it looks like being frosty I can move them into shelter. My buckets aren't as big as your tubs, I put 2 tubers in them and get a reasonable crop. I think I would put 3 in a big tub.

I generally use spent compost from whatever I grew last year, mix in a generous handful of fish blood & bone and maybe a handful of chicken pellets as well. Using compost means the tubers come out nice and clean, unlike the ones I grow in the ground in my heavy loam.

Like Ameno says, you need to stay on top of the watering in May once the tubers start to form. Potatoes are mostly water, after all.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Yes, I grow in half barrel tubs.
          Usually first earlies and I put 4 tubers in.
          I use spent compost, chicken pellets and rotted leaves.
          Needs lots of watering though.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
            I generally use spent compost from whatever I grew last year, mix in a generous handful of fish blood & bone and maybe a handful of chicken pellets as well. Using compost means the tubers come out nice and clean, unlike the ones I grow in the ground in my heavy loam.
            That is indeed the advantage of growing just in compost.
            I recommended soil, though, as it helps to mitigate the watering requirements (at least if it's clay or loam soil; sand would probably just make it worse).
            I suppose it comes down to whether you value clean potatoes or less watering (and potentially a slightly larger crop) more.

Comment

I grow my Charlottes in old recycling boxes 2 to a box filled with a mix of soil, dalek compost and leaf mould, adding BFB then feeding with comfrey. I've find mulching with grass helps keep the moisture in.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I grow 2 or 3 to a 30L container earlies and 2nd earlies plonked around the garden as on the allotment they don’t seem to do as well, possibly because I don’t give them so much attention, eg feeding/watering. I just feed the containers with BFB and this year I have some molehill soil that I will sift and add to the mix.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your useful comments ! .
                  l think l will use my bin compost that l was going to use to enrich the spud rows this year , adding some leaf mould as suggested and feed with comfrey .
                  Watering shouldn’t be a problem as l am lucky to have my plot around the corner and on the way to work , so early each morning l spend an hour quietly pottering . It’s a good start to the day

Comment

If you're using mostly compost bin compost then I would make sure to add a decent amount of supplemental nitrogen. The average batch of compost bin compost is actually very low in nitrogen, and indeed fairly low in all of the major three nutrients. It is rich in all the micronutrients, though.

Comment

I’m actually very lucky ameno , l have a steady supply of alpaca poo from a good friend , and put regular.layers in my bins to activate and enrich . It certainly produces lovely compost and healthy crops

Comment

I am giving growing some taters in tubs ago this year. I am brand new to gardening, let alone veg growing, so sorry for the stupid questions.

What is mean by the term tubers that is used in the posts above?

I have some Duke of Yorks and Charlotte on the go chitting at the moment whilst I read up/watch YT videos on how to grow them in tubs. I have several 30l pots (advertised at potato growing pots), and a large faux barrel type tub (which apparently is a potato growing tub) about 3 ft tall that my father in law gave me.

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt , the term tuber is usually used to describe seed potatoes or the crop of potatoes themselves.
                          so really tuber is the technical term for potato ! . ( and it’s a very sensible question to ask !! )

Comment

Originally posted by mjd42 View Post
                            What is mean by the term tubers that is used in the posts above?
                            "Tuber" is just the botanical term for what potatoes (the roots themselves, not the plants) are. They are underground swollen storage organs which allow plants to survive bad periods (either winter cold or drought), then grow back again from said tubers.
                            Potatoes and sweet potatoes are both tubers, as are oca, Jerusalem artichokes, and dahlia roots.
                            Last edited by ameno; 24-02-2022, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Got a good supply of 70 litre tubs in a heavy gauge plastic coloured green/red or blue. from a farmer friend. They were used for supplement feed for the cattle. Now i buy the proper potato compost as i get a far better and cleaner crop than using old compost. Trouble is i have loads of clean dry compost with no where to use it.
                              Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X