Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asturian Cabbage

Does anyone grow this? Is it nice? Thankyou

The picture of Asturian cabbage on the Real Seeds website looks quite like collard greens (see here, for example, https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item...1_hybrid_seeds). Other pictures I've seen elsewhere look the same. I've never eaten it, I'm afraid, and I can't find any kind of cabbage in Spanish described as Asturian cabbage.

I've read the Real Seeds entry for Asturian cabbage. I used to buy seeds off them pre-Brexit but I'm always a bit suspicious of their 'Rare' tags. They describe Colgar tomatoes as 'pretty much extinct', which is beyond laughable as they are readily available in Spain as seeds and plug plants, plus can easily be bought as fruit at market stalls and in supermarkets and shops.

I suspect 'Asturian cabbage' is really what is called 'Portuguese cabbage' (col portuguesa or col tronchuda) used in the Portuguese soup 'caldo verde'. Also not rare. See here: https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item...ronchuda_seeds They make it sound really tasty and not that difficult to grow.

To make caldo gallego, the Galician version of caldo verde, you need 'grelos' (in Spanish), not cabbage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapini

Caldo gallego with grelos is absolutely delicious as far as I'm concerned. I bet I'd really like caldo verde as well. I just love those 'green' soups. I'm growing grelos this year just so I can make caldo gallego. Will try col tronchuda next year. Thanks for asking the question and the inspiration.

If you decide to grow any of these, let us know what you think.
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 18-03-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I have just sown seeds for this. A good friend of mine grew it a few years ago and I asked him what it was. He rated it highly for growth characteristics annd taste. I remember it had lime green leaves and could probably have been eaten raw as the leaves weren't course like cabbage but nearer to a lettuce in texture. I took some and cooked it and really enjoyed it.
      I got the impression it was a short lived perennial as well.
      What really drew me to it though, was that whereas the rest of the cabbages on the plot had been blitzed by pigeons, they had left the Asturian cabbage alone.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Out of interest, where did you get the seeds, Snadger?

Comment

Thankyou both.
          ​​​​​​The only place ive seed the seeds is Real Seeds and as itll work out quite expensive with delivery I didn't want to try them if they weren't that highly recommended.
          ​​​​​If I decide to get them I'll let you know how I get on with it.
          Caldo gallego sounds really tasty..I guess I will have to add grelos to the list too
          Thankyou so much

Comment

Looks like you could get broccoli raab (another name for grelos) and kale tronchuda from Chiltern seeds. Not as expensive as RS for seeds or delivery... Sorry, I've got my Mrs Mephistopheles hat on again. That said, Chiltern Seeds look like an interesting seed supplier.

Comment

I got my seeds from Real Seeds but as they have a minimum order value if I remebe rightly, I also bought some Gigantes beans and some kale seeds i think. The downside is the seeds are in paper packets so are unlikely to last for a second year. If the plants grow successfully and I like them, I can always save my own seed anyway.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've actually just had an order from Chiltern seeds. But I'll add those suggestions to my list for next time. Thankyou

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X