Growing Charlotte Potatoes advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Charlotte Potatoes advice

I got some very reduced charlotte potatoes in Wilko that I haven't got round to plating in containers due to lack of compost. I have some but not enough to grow them all, unless I just put them all in a large container (old council waste recycle box) to get a huge crop ? Can I just put some garden soil mixed with compost or even leaf mold, grass cuttings, old compost which I have ? Again, they only cost me 60p so its not that I will lose out if they don't grow that much. I just think it defeats the object buying compost (and spuds need a lot in each container) to get a crop of something that you can buy significantly cheaper in the supermarket.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marb67; 08-06-2022, 12:51 PM.

They don't have to be in containers. Just plant them in the ground.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Sorry, I should have said I don't have any space in the ground. Small garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
        Sorry, I should have said I don't have any space in the ground. Small garden.
        My bad. I should have realised from your post.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Garden soil is actually a better option than compost, as long as you have enough to spare. It holds nutrient and water better than compost does. If you need to bulk it out a bit, any of those things you mentioned ought to be just fine (although make sure it's mixed well), but if you use a significant proportion of used compost or leaf mould (both low in nutrients), add a bit of general fertiliser if you can (Growmore, poultry manure, blood, fish & bone, something like that).

As for containers, you can put several at once into a large container and still get a good crop. And at the other end, Which Gardening have found you can get a surprisingly good crop from a container as small as 1 gallon in volume, with a single tuber planted in it. But if you use such a small container, you do need to give it a lot of water (twice a day, maybe even three times if it gets really hot), and also feed it a bit (either put slow release fertiliser in the potting mix or use liquid tomato feed).

Comment

Marb, If you go toYouTube and Search "Home Grown Veg" you'll discover "Jim" who grows just about everything (including potatoes) in 10 inch buckets with amazing results..... An example is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nLiTU8XwhQ
            bb.

Comment

You can use old compost bags or rubble sacks as containers too. Roll the tops down and stab plenty of drainage holes near the bottom.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about a huge crop, Charlottes are always on the lower yield for me. But they are lovely, so worth it.

Comment

Thanks folks, some good advice there.

Comment

Well some weeks on and I planted them in containers, fed with blood fish and bone and keep well watered. Had a furtle round inside the compost and not a single spud. Nothing. A complete waste of compost!
                    Attached Files

Comment

They will take around 4 months (16wks) marb.
                      it’s only just over 7 weeks since your first post in this thread.

Those plants look very healthy. You need to sit on your hands for a few more weeks! Difficult I know when other people ( who planted out earlier than you) are now digging up their crop.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Ok, thanks. I’ll leave it and keep watering etc.

Comment

I would try to get as little water as possible on the foliage when you water them, if I were you. Damp leaves will only encourage blight, which is a major risk with late crops of potatoes, anyway (it's also just a waste of water, as water hanging around on the leaves won't be taken up by the plants).

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          They will take around 4 months (16wks) marb.
                          it’s only just over 7 weeks since your first post in this thread.
                          They shouldn't take that long, should they? 120 days is maincrop potato growth time. Second earlies should be ready in 90-100 days.
                          Either way, still over a month too soon.

Comment

Ah…thanks ….^^^^…..we tend to leave some of our Charlottes to grow to Jacket potato size so I was thinking of that.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well, having a furtle around in the big containers I am very disappointed to find hardly anything months on after regular watering and feeding. The plants are dying off so that is that I suppose. Another waste of compost
                              Last edited by Marb67; 10-09-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X