Too late for Squash?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late for Squash?

I've been given a few squashes, sweet dumpling, uchi kuri and crown prince. They are leftovers which are still in 9cm pots and look pretty exhausted!
    Is it worth me planting them this late in the year or shall I compost them?
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

When do your temperatures drop below 10 ºC, peanut, and when's your first frost?

Comment

If you have space, stick them in. As long as they recover the start growing again reasonably quickly (which admittedly is somewhat questionable given what you say about their condition) then you should get at least something from them, even if its just one fruit each.
      A few years ago I lost my squashes to slugs when I was on holiday, and had to sow more at the beginning of July. I still got a crop, albeit a rather small one.
      I've found (here in the South West, at least) that as long as the flower is pollinated before late August it should definitely ripen in time, and I've had fruits pollinate as late as the second week of September and still ripen.

To give them the best chance you can, plant them somewhere as sunny as possible, give the ground a good feed before planting, and keep them well watered. Also, pollinate the flowers by hand; insects are unreliable and you can't afford to lose time by early flowers failing to pollinate.

Comment

My squash plants are still small,they’ve hardly grown at all in this heat,I think they’ve still got loads of time left,frost isn’t till late October/November,plant them & water daily in this weather,I wonder when we’ll have some good rain,the grounds so hard & dry.

Comment

Thanks all, I'll get them in and hope for the best, nothing to lose after all.
          Think I will have to water the bed first as the ground is like dust, no rain since June and none in the forecasts. It's really quite worrying.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Id defo plant the uchi kuri. They are the earliest of any squash I’ve ever grown and are lovely.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X