Courgettes not swelling

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes not swelling

I have plenty of courgettes but they are all like finger and show no desire to become marrows.
    The variety is Orelia and they have been watered well at times with high potash.
    Never had this before.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

My courgettes have been really slow to grow this year I’ve put it down to the weather.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

If they're finger size and then eventually go brownish and bit wrinkly, it may be you need to hand pollinate, DannyK.

Comment

I have got some marrows that have been aborting all fruits after the first. They are setting another after I harvest the forming one.
        Heat stress is my main suspect.
        Winter squashes are looking much better though.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Been through the 'stalled at finger-size' phase and yesterday harvested a decent courgette.
          I used to be quanglewangle. It's a long story

Comment

Beans were not setting at all in the very hot weather except a couple of dwarf french beans that are in partial shade.
            It looks like excess sunshine is the problem.

Comment

My courgettes have been a bit poor this year. Similar to others, getting one at a time, but a number are rotting before they ripen.

Comment

I harvested a reasonable marrow about a week ago. The flowers were aborting before they had even opened.
                Now the flowers are staying on.
                There is less heat stress now so hopefully the plant will crop more normally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	2549629 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	2549630

Comment

I have cut off all the small courgettes and will see what happens.
                  There was a dearth of male flowers.
                  I'll try a parthenocarpic variety next year.
                  This has never happened in past 20 years!
                  A couple of nearby tromboncinos are romping away .

Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I noticed on Gardener's World last night that Monty Don's courgettes were showing telltale signs of partial pollination, with a fat stalk end and a much narrower flower end.

I can thoroughly recommend the parthenocarpic variety Sure Thing, which is producing large numbers of lovely even shaped courgettes despite the hot weather and rather restricted watering.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Definitely not having a good year for courgettes this year. Usually have far to many by this time but much less of a crop and have removed several that have stalled at small size then gone soft. Putting it down to the weather despite me trying to keep them watered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X