Would you plant out Sungold tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you plant out Sungold tomatoes?

Hi. Due to over germination I ended up with more tomatoes than I have greenhouse space for. So reluctant to chuck them in the compost bin and no one wanted to take any, I shoved them in pots and put them on the patio - where they are idling.
    I now have a new bed on the lottie and am tempted to plant said toms in it as the pots are not big enough - I have other toms in bigger pots doing well. But I don't have any more big pots or spare compost. But I do have an empty bed.
    My question is - is it worth planting them out now? The bed is sheltered in full sun. And I do like sun gold!

I would plant them,tomatoes grow outside till end of October here when the frost comes,there’s still time

Comment

We grow more outside than in, including Sungold. Depends where abouts you are MrsB..

Edit to say - only last week we planted out a number of sideshoot cuttings which already have flowers.
      Last edited by Mr Bones; 31-07-2022, 07:35 AM. Reason: extra info
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Gosh yes, I’d plant them out too!
        You can always pinch out new trusses later on in the season to encourage the first ones to grow. But you never know with the weather we are having recently- we could have an Indian summer and you’ll get a great crop from them!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

This is the story of my life especially this year!
          I've accidently grown way too many toms and let some extra side shoots grow on to pot up. I gave away as many as I could but now have all different varieties of tomatoes including sungold planted randomly all over my garden.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Definitely plant them out. Sungold ripen fairly fast and I have found that if you pick them green at the end of the season they will slowly ripen in the house and you can be eating them into January.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Sounds like it's well worth it. Ten days or so ago, I noticed a self-seeded tom plant. Maybe three inches high. Made me laugh that I sowed mine months ago, when now is clearly when they think conditions are right.Today it's 18 inches tall and covered in flowers. Toms love to grow, especially Sungold.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I will go ahead and plant. I was going to say I'll do it this afternoon but it's quite windy ATM - probably blowing any rain clouds away!

Comment

Personally I wouldn't, but that's only because any non-resistant variety is certain to get blight if grown outside where I am.
                  You should still have plenty of time, though, seeing as your plants are already reasonably large. Just keep your fingers crossed blight stays away.

Comment

Yes I'll keep an eye on them.
                    I do have some 'black' cherry toms in large pots outside doing well- no idea re variety they were a giveaway from fellow allotmenteer.
                    We had much blight last year on spuds and toms - so far seems ok

Comment

Absolutely. Only thing I find with sungold outside is that I get more splitting of the skins. They have a thinner skin than some other toms. Really sweet and delicious though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X