No announcement yet.

Runnerbean flowers falling again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is now a hand full of wonky looking pods forming on my runners. The germination of all my beans was awful this year and a very slow start too.
    Last edited by Plot70; 21-08-2022, 02:09 AM.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I’ve just seen one bean growing they’ve been slow,heat exhausted plants this year.

Comment

Mine are beginning to hold onto there flowers now so there is still some hope of a few more beans.
        Last edited by Plot70; 24-08-2022, 12:05 AM.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Hi.
          I have a row of runner beans opposite my beehives. There are plenty of flowers and lots of bee activity. But not many beans and we reckon the flowers are not getting pollinated because the bees can't reach the nectar, and therefore the pollen, but are going to the back of the flower and biting a tiny hole to get the nectar. I stood and watched what they were doing and also I could see the hole in the flower. I don't mind as I have a glut of french beans on my lottie.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
            Hi.
            I have a row of runner beans opposite my beehives. There are plenty of flowers and lots of bee activity. But not many beans and we reckon the flowers are not getting pollinated because the bees can't reach the nectar, and therefore the pollen, but are going to the back of the flower and biting a tiny hole to get the nectar. I stood and watched what they were doing and also I could see the hole in the flower. I don't mind as I have a glut of french beans on my lottie.
            It's usually only bumble bees which do that (as they are too big to get inside the flower), while honey bees enter the flower properly.

Comment

I grow Firestorm and Stardust, both of which are runner bean/french bean crosses. I've had plenty of beans, although the plants are clearly water stressed and some of the beans are small and bent. A lot of flowers have fallen off and the plants stopped producing completely in the very hot weather. I've grown Stardust in a pot in the past and it has been fine. If you can't find it (sometimes it isn't available), Moonlight is similar.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm having the same problems with my Blauhilde french beans, some plants have given up and died others are producing short misshaped pods. Its not all bad I have harvested a fair few good pods but not as many as usual.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

It's usually only bumble bees which do that (as they are too big to get inside the flower), while honey bees enter the flower properly.
                  I know - but these are definitely honey bees - having kept bees for a few years I can tell the difference!

Comment

I picked about six runner beans yesterday

Comment

Hope you get some more JJ, It has been a disappointing year for veg.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X