This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    I think maybe I should keep better tabs on when I've bought them and when I lasted sowed them, but that's just another 'good intention'.
    I usually just write on the packet when I opened it.

Comment

I had some A. Y. R. and Artic King growing in the greenhouse along with some winter cabbage, but lost the lot to the cold, next year I will use a sun tunnel with some fleece for frost protection
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

That's a shame Rary do you find the sun tunnel warmer than the GH ? mines away for the winter.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

That's new to me - a sun tunnel. I shall go and Google for more info. Thanks for mentioning it, rary.

Comment

Here’s a photo of mine Snoop only difference we’ve made a base for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7F3B74D9-168E-4A34-AD71-24CBC5B3D0B6.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	2556989

Comment

^ Thanks, Bren.

Comment

Actually Bren I will use the sun tunnel and fleece in the greenhouse where the temperature went down to -10 so using both the tunnel and fleece I think would protect from such low temperatures in the future
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

That’s a good idea Rary my lowest GH temperature has been -5c so no where near as low as yours.

Comment

I just grow regular summer varieties in the polytunnel without protection here in subtropical Suffolk. But this year we had a particualry cold spell a couple of weeks ago which killed off what was left. I will fleece in future if it gets that cold again.
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Any advice on what varieties to sow now or soon?

Comment

Try any that starts with the letter L
                        Just had a look at DTBs catalogue and they have one called Clarion which can be sown from January till July have never tried in but think I will give it a go, I have as said in a previous post tried Artic King and All Year Round which was lost this year, in the past A. Y. R gave me some lettuce a bit earlier than spring sown lettuces, but nothing worth talking about over the winter, possibly, like yourself I should sow them a bit earlier​​​​​​
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Thanks, rary. Very funny

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                            I have as said in a previous post tried Artic King and All Year Round which was lost this year, in the past A. Y. R gave me some lettuce a bit earlier than spring sown lettuces, but nothing worth talking about over the winter, possibly, like yourself I should sow them a bit earlier​​​​​​
                            ​​​​​
                            Rary this year try sowing your winter lettuce at the end of August that way they’re established before the cold weather hits.

Comment

Thanks Bren I will try that, if I remember 😏

Comment

I found a few black seeded Simpson growing under the snow
                                after it melted one year..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X