Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seedlings of moonred and catalogna pricked out. Lettuce ready on plot but pouring and windy today so may have bolted before I get to it. The sweet success is being well munched and taking a while to heart up so the jury is out. Not sure if it counts but I have radicchio seedlings for the autumn salads and because I think they look attractive!

Comment

My early June sowings were a bit hit and miss it was just to hot even in the partial shade for them.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Our late June sowing are a bit slow to pick up, even though they are in a (for the lazy grower ) self-watering propagator. Also I've rediscovered which are old seeds - must throw them out rather than putting them back in the tub! Doh! Might sow some more now it's cooler and see if they catch up.

The early season sowings are doing well, too well even as some are already bolting - flaming June!

To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I've had a few failures with my lettuces this season, some have just failed to germinate others have bolted.
          I'm doing an early sowing of winter lettuce to make up for it.

Artic King
          All year round

then a few others.
          Mazur
          Frisee de Beauregard 'Iceberg type'
          Red and green salad bowl

Comment

Just sown some winter lettuce Brighton, which is a butterhead lettuce I haven't grown before. Trying both a direct sowing and some seed in a pot for planting out later, to compare methods.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'll have to try and sow more red cos lettuce asap - of the 40 healthy looking seedlings I planted out a couple of weeks ago, only 6 are left. The rest having fallen victim to snails and slugs.

Comment

I've got germination

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                  I've got germination
                  Me too, outdoors at least
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I’ve moved my August sown winter lettuce inside the GH.
                    12 buckets plus a couple of troughs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2569983

Comment

Lifted some lettuce plants from the garden and replanted in the greenhouse, I have taken a good root ball with them so hopefully they will survive and make more root
                      Last edited by rary; 27-11-2023, 05:45 PM.
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Thinking of starting some lettuce now indoors. sensible or not?
                        Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                          Thinking of starting some lettuce now indoors. sensible or not?
                          As long as you can give them enough light you can start them indoors at any time. A windowsill is probably not light enough at this time of year and they would get very leggy very quickly once they have germinated.

Comment

Give it a go with a few seeds, I’ll be sowing some in the next couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post

As long as you can give them enough light you can start them indoors at any time. A windowsill is probably not light enough at this time of year and they would get very leggy very quickly once they have germinated.
                              I have a gh, but too cold?
                              Northern England.

Comment

My unheated greenhouse dropped to -5 on Wednesday night. That would be far too cold for lettuce seedlings. It may not get that cold again this winter, but equally it might well do.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X