• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgette flowers but no fruit

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230719_125655.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	2565674 My courgettes are doing well in their container, fed with comrey and BF&B but there isn't one single fruit on all those flowers between two plants. Ditto for the cucumbers. Plenty of pollinators about going in the flowers but no fruit.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230719_125645.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.0 KB ID:	2565673
    Last edited by Marb67; 19-07-2023, 12:33 PM.

Whip off all those male flowers bar one and eat them in a tempura batter.
    Male flowers generally come before the females.Hang on in there marb.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That's because those are all male flowers, so they will never turn into fruit.
      As Nicos said, female flowers usually start growing a little later, and in smaller quantities than male flowers.

Comment

Not sure about the feeding, I mix BFB, in the soil using it as a slow release fertiliser, and add a comfrey solution to the water, though the best results I have had from courgettes came from a tub two thirds filled with old cow manure and all I did was water when required, indicating to me that courgettes are what I would call gross feeders, the courgettes I am growing at present are in two tubs, one with a bag of seaweed mixed with some home made compost and topped with 4inches of soil the other two thirds filled with homemade compost topped with 4inches of soil I add a cup of comfrey tea to10 lts of water at ever watering
        Last edited by rary; 19-07-2023, 03:36 PM.
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Ok, I shall do that thanks. I collected a bag of dried seaweed from Prestatyn beach a couple of days ago which I have washed and become rehydrated in the rain water. I could just drop them in the water butt (in a net of course) and they should rot down slowly giving slow release to the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
            Ok, I shall do that thanks. I collected a bag of dried seaweed from Prestatyn beach a couple of days ago which I have washed and become rehydrated in the rain water. I could just drop them in the water butt (in a net of course) and they should rot down slowly giving slow release to the water.
            You could, but I wouldn't advise it. Fermenting seaweed reeks to high heaven.
            Rotting seaweed isn't too bad if it can rot somewhere with a decent amount of oxygen (like as a surface mulch, or in a well-aerated compost heap), but if it goes anaerobic (like sealed in bags or under water) the smell is incredibly offensive.

Comment

It might scare away marb’s garden bugs ameno!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

You could, but I wouldn't advise it. Fermenting seaweed reeks to high heaven.
                Rotting seaweed isn't too bad if it can rot somewhere with a decent amount of oxygen (like as a surface mulch, or in a well-aerated compost heap), but if it goes anaerobic (like sealed in bags or under water) the smell is incredibly offensive.
                I could dry it in the greenhouse and then easy to break up and sprinkle on soil ?
                Last edited by Marb67; 20-07-2023, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

Name:	IMG_20230719_125655.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	2565674 My courgettes are doing well in their container, fed with comrey and BF&B but there isn't one single fruit on all those flowers between two plants. Ditto for the cucumbers. Plenty of pollinators about going in the flowers but no fruit.
                  Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20230719_125645.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.0 KB ID:	2565673
                  They don't look very big plants yet, so maybe thats why there's only male flowers and no fruit. We've only just started picking our courgettes (but we were a bit late with everything this year).
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I got all my squashes in at my normal time.
                    They all stalled after a short early warm period and some were lost to underground slugs taking the roots off.
                    With replanting with backup seedlings I have had several courgettes harvested and some winter squashes set.
                    Cucumbers are set but not forming very quickly.
                    Melons have not set anything yet.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I am having this problem too, although they are producing the odd courgette as well. It's my cucumbers which are having a complete meltdown - I have 5 plants, and at the moment they are smothered in flowers, but only 4 cucumbers growing and the rest are male flowers.

Comment

My Beth Alpha cucs are very slow up to yet I’ve had 4 cucs from 2 plants and nothing of the 3 plant. All 3 are in the GH.
                        Courgettes aren’t doing much better 10 courgettes from 7 plants.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My courgettes seem to be doing fine, although I had the devil of a job getting them to germinate in the first place.

My impression over the last 2 summers is that cucumbers do not like hot weather. I have 5 plants in various locations, some outside and some in greenhouses and all of them produced a few cucumbers and then stopped, and the baby fruit turned yellow and fell off. I harvested the ones that developed, so it isn't that. There are now more fruit forming as the weather has cooled down. A similar thing happened last year when we had those very hot days in July.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I’ve got three courgette plants in this photo,all sowed at the same time/treated the same,only the one plant in the middle has produced courgettes,two tiny ones then three normal size,the other plants finally have courgettes forming now,it’s funny how they’re so different. More plants equals more chance of one courgette growing I still haven’t had any cucumbers but there are some tiny ones on the plants. My courgette plants are still small you can see

Name:	1333B176-99C7-4E53-8BB4-541FE40605EE.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2565924

Comment

Out of all my courgettes (some planted in soil) more flowers and still no fruit, EVEN after cutting off all the flowers as advised here.
                              Last edited by Marb67; 27-07-2023, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X