Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collected some bags of seaweed and covered the bed in which i had grown onions, I also spread some of the seaweed below the cabbage, cauli and broccoli
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• So far all I have done today is watch the wonderful, beautiful wet rain fall from the skies onto my garden. I can almost hear it singing in delight! This is the first rain I've had since 16th July! Happy days!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

• Planted out my greyhound cabbage plants.
        Sowed a row of white turnips.
        Dead headed sweetpeas, dahlias and Rudbeckia.
        planted up fuschia cuttings.
        Trimmed the lower leaves from the tomato plants.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• At the weekend on the plot:
          • Dug up the last of the spuds & covered the bed (won't be needed again until next year) although the cover will need to be lifted to add some goodness in the coming weeks hopefully we will minimise weeds establishing.
          • Squished a few cabbage white caterpillars/eggs on the PSB & swede - amazingly none on the cabbages - and spritzed with a 'rary's mix' garlic spray.
          • Picked off any flowers & small fruit that won't ripen now from the winter squash.
          • Lots of weeding and some harvesting.
          • Pushed down the arch support in the entrance which had wobbled a bit in the recent wind - must add a few stakes to make sure it survives future winds.
          • Tucked the mangetout back into the frame where the wind had bashed them - the plants are a sorry sight now but I'm hoping to save some seed for next year.

Comment

• Deadheading all over
            Light pruning
            Pulled the very bolted and eaten spinach
            Harvested Spring onions
            Picked sweetpeas
            Tried weeding but the ground so wet
            Got rid of some massive slugs that had the cheek to continue munching all day long.
            Watered gh tomatoes, chilli's and basil
            Added to compost bin
            Northern England.

Comment

• Planted out some beans finally( blauhide and dwarf purple and yellow) also gave them all support after the last winds, planted some kohl rabi and something which could be broccoletto? Surrounded in grit and drenched in garlic spray.
              (slugs ignored all that and chomped anyway)
              Staked rudbeckias which had blown over.
              Bit of cutting back
              Sowed some kohl rabi and chicory
              Last edited by Containergardener; 01-09-2024, 06:26 AM.
              Northern England.

Comment

• Harvested more green tomatoes to ripen indoors and removed those pots from the gh.
                Tipped some pots of compost out into the wheelbarrow from toms and cucumbers, Robin had a few visits
                Potted on some pak choi
                Picked another 2 bunches of sweetpeas
                Layered up the compost bin a bit further, wasp was loitering- it needn't bother getting ideas!
                Northern England.

Comment

• Was grotty weather here at the weekend so we didn't stay long at the plot on Saturday. The mist was so heavy it almost qualified as rain! I picked a pile of french beans & squished 2 cabbage white caterpillars whilst OH bashed 2 stacked in to support the gate arch (will stake the arch-arch this weekend). There were a few rasps to pick but they were left for the birds this time.

Sunday before we got a bit more done but the return of a plot neighbour from holiday meant OH did lots of chatting whilst I did all the work (does make a change from the other way around - it's normally me doing the chatting ). Bit of weeding, a small number of caterpillars squished & harvesting - thought I'd done more than that but can't think what lol.

Comment

• Seed collecting and drying over the last few days while its dry.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Finally got my brassicas in the ground!
                      I've done my best to identify them after the bl**dy pigeon pulled them all out of their modules back in spring. Still, it will be a nice surprise whatever they turn out to be!
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

• A second wheelbarrow of weeds from the gravel path at the back of the house.
                        Funny thing is, I said to OH that I guess there must be at least another barrow full to pull today so he gave me the biggest wheelbarrow we have. Yes, I filled it l and then cut back the wisteria
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Weeding here too. Cut back the old growth from the tayberry & loganberry. Removed yellow leaves from the psb & rhubarb. Bit of harvesting. Pulled up the mangetout. Put some card under a low squash in the hope it will stop it rotting. Picked the brain of a plotter who grows great peas every year for tips ready for next year. Staked the arch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X