Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dug out lots of teasels from the lawn and veg beds rehoming some behind the shed, while MrPots cut the grass.
    Weeded raspberries and veg beds
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Another barrow load of weeds from the gravel of the driveway. Plenty more to go!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Potted on twenty one petunias today,there’s about ten left to do & mowed the back lawn…

Comment

Did some more digging, pulled out the purple sprouting plants (they were hopeless this year - when left uncovered the pigeons devoured them, then when I netted them they were inundated by snails. Literally 20 or more snails on each plant, just anchored to the stems).
          Then at home I potted up some sprouted melon seeds, potted up two sweet potatoes to produce shoots for this year's plants, and took and potted 8 cape gooseberry cuttings from my overwintered plants.

Comment

Did you grow the cape gooseberry from seed originally?
            Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
              Did you grow the cape gooseberry from seed originally?
              Sort of.
              The original ones years ago were grown from seed, but I've given up on that now, as I find the seeds have a very short viable life, are too slow to develop, and often damp off. Seed raised plants usually just start ripening as the first frosts come...
              So instead I now take advantage of their habit of self-seeding (they come up everywhere near where you grew them last year). In late summer, I dig up two or three medium sized volunteer plants, pot them up, and overwinter them in my conservatory at home. Then in spring I take cuttings from those to bulk out the numbers, then in late May I plant out both the overwintered plants and the cuttings.
              I got a really good crop last year this way.

Comment

Ah explains the lack of germination on mine then
                Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                  Ah explains the lack of germination on mine then
                  Yeah, seeds I save myself from the previous year always germinate well, and they self-seed very freely, too, but seeds 2 years old or more, as well as purchased seeds, always have a very poor germination rate.

Comment

Planted my broad beans, the sutton and crimson flowered and maincrop potatoes, Caledonian rose.
                    Did a bit more hoeing and weeding.
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Washed the outsides of the greenhouses with my fab new wall cleaning mop, that I bought especially for this job and it worked a treat
                      I hope to do the insides tomorrow as it will be too chilly for the tomato shuffle.
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!

Comment

Ferryed 8 bags of pf/mp compost, 5 bags of ericaceous pf compost, 9 bags of manure and 8 bags of John Innes no3 from back to front. Now bending over trying to stretch out my spine, hoping sciatica doesn't decide to visit again
                        Washed the inside of the little greenhouse.
                        Last edited by peanut; 09-04-2024, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I was putting mealworms out for the birds & cleaned their bird bath,refreshed with clean tap water (smells a bit of chlorine). From indoors I just watched a little robin,about five minutes later,had a bath over here,this is an old tub with some mud (& rainwater)I was moving (last year).

Click image for larger version  Name:	65F036BC-96CC-403C-A1DB-622293046D15.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	785.3 KB ID:	2577683
                          Last edited by Jungle Jane; 11-04-2024, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Finally moved my old porcelain sink, it's only taken me 18yrs! It's now next to the water butt ready to use instead of standing on its end in the way.
                            Prepared the bed ready for planting my anya potatoes and covered with pyracantha branches to keep the neighbours cats off.
                            Emptied out lots of pots of the old compost, spread it over various beds.
                            Walked around the garden snipping off bits of brambles in the hedges.

Comment

Digging out dandelions, primulas, oregano and teasles from my veg beds.

Comment

More digging out plants this time it’s forget me nots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X