• Harvested potato bad and picked other things
    Weeded nettles, thistles and all manner of stuff takin over
    Pruned some beech
    Re staked peas after the winds
    Fed and watered gh and others
    De slugged and snailed re flatwormed+eggs
    Planted out some spring onions
    Deadheaded
    Created a sparrow defence on my bed of carrot seedlings they keep messing with
    Northern England.

Comment

• Its council green bin collection tomorrow so I've been gathering up anything that I won't be composting myself.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Harvested another potato bag to make room for a sweet pepper, French marigold & the last tomato plant. Deadheaded the buddleia, petunias & marigolds, tied in some tomatoes & cucumbers. Watered the new plantings, courgette, sweetcorn, squash & broccoli with nettle fertiliser.
        Last edited by Jungle Jane; 24-07-2024, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Cut off more of the blighted potato leaves (not many left now).
          Cut off the leaves from most of my onions, as they are badly infected with mildew.

Comment

• Yesterday I mowed the back lawn,cut the edges,put the grass cuttings around some squash & a bit in the strawberry bed,some in a pile for later. Filled up my wall baskets water reservoirs. Deadheaded the flowers,little bit of weeding. Trimmed my red onions that were in the shed & brought them in the house,had some in a potato salad last night with eggs,tuna & cucumber

Comment

• Deadheaded a large area of self seeded oxeye daisies which I want to sow elsewhere in the field.
              Bit of cutting back ready for shredding.
              Cut back the roses and an area of wild brambles sneaking into a flower border.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Did a variety of bits and bobs today.
                Spent some time weeding, deadheading, seedsaving and cutting out a few nettles.
                Picked the last few strawberries before the squirrel got them 💣

Did a crossword, read some of my book and watched the all Ireland football final.
                All in all, a very pleasant day.

Oh, and ran around the garden taking pics of bees and butterflies.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Pollinated some squashes and watermelons.
                  Tied in the tomatoes and litchi tomatoes (a very thorny job).
                  Weeded the runner beans.

Comment

• Yesterday at the plot:

Weeding, weeding, harvesting, then a bit more weeding before deciding enough was enough of that for one day.

Tied in a few bits on the tayberry, loganberry, squash (all growing vertically) & sunflowers.

Took up the black sheet intended for weed suppressant & moisture saving (aka luxury slug/snail hotel) from around the cabbages.

Threw some chicken manure pellets around stuff & watered with some comfrey tea before throwing a few slug pellets around.

Lamented not having picked our yellow gooseberries before the birds did (thought it was the red plant & they needed longer to ripen ) & cursed the slugs/snails that have eaten over 1/2 the cabbage & have had a field day with the sunflowers this year.

OH thinned the carrots (will definitely go back to DIY seedtape next year to avoid this fiddly job).

Nice little chat with a few plot neighbours but we were amazed at how quiet it was for such a beautiful day. Although I think many had been & gone early or planned to be later than us, I hear some crazy people go on holidays

Sat on the bench enjoying the sun whilst filling two big milk jacks with comfrey leaves to make more tea & congratulating ourselves on having barrowed woodchip to replenish the main path last week when it wasn't so hot

Smiled at the setting pods & lots of flowers on the gigantes, climbing french & dwarf french beans. Told the parsnips how well they're looking (yes, I really do chat to the plants).

Remembered half way home that we'd forgotten to lift the rest of the garlic

Comment

• Strarted moving the top 150mm of soil in what will be the front lawn again (after 20 years) to a spot more convenient for throwing into a rotary sieve. It's got a lot of fair sized stones in it and I want something better than we've had in the back garden over the years. It's only 25 sq metres, but I didn't get all that far before it got too hot and I got too knackered.. Start earlier tomorrow.

Picked a cucumber and more tomatoes. Watered everything. Dead headed sweet peas.
                      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Walked around, tied in courgette and squash, picked some peas, broad beans and cherry toms.
                        Also picked and tied in sweet peas.
                        We didn't get the sun just cloud and kept trying to rain so nothing much achieved.

bramble ooh butterflies
                        Northern England.

Comment

• Weeding, watering, feeding and harvesting.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Same as Bren..😃

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I had to secure my nets over four of the broccoli plants,there was a tear through one of them so I took the broken net off & two little cabbage white butterflies flew out

Comment

• Repotted a couple of plants
                                Sowed some seed
                                Watered
                                Fed
                                Harvested
                                Tied in sweet peas
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts