Clear All

Bulb fennel and 2 types of spinach.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

What spinach do you sow/recommend Bren In Pots
      my perpetual is starting to bolt
      Northern England.

Comment

I also gave up with Perpetual spinach, I've sown my usual Medania then trying Monnopa for the first time.

Comment

I'd be interested to hear recommendations for spinach too. Medania bolted on me two years running from several sowings so I've gone for perpetual this year. The plants look ok enough but it doesn't seem to be getting going (sown 01 April). They're in individual pots but aren't potbound. I think I may have been guilty of overwatering?

Comment

Originally posted by Andraste View Post
            I'd be interested to hear recommendations for spinach too. Medania bolted on me two years running from several sowings so I've gone for perpetual this year. The plants look ok enough but it doesn't seem to be getting going (sown 01 April). They're in individual pots but aren't potbound. I think I may have been guilty of overwatering?
            Maybe it's this weird weather ?
            Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
              What spinach do you sow/recommend Bren In Pots
              my perpetual is starting to bolt
              I've had good results with Amazon (F1) sown both in spring and in late summer (mid August) - the later sowing matures well enough for a few baby leaves in autumn and will then overwinter for a spring crop. I have tried sowing spinach of various varieties in June and July and it has always bolted when the leaves are still very small. I don't know about perpetual spinach - I don't like it so I don't grow it. I find it has none of the flavour of real spinach and a much coarser texture.
              Last edited by Penellype; 19-06-2024, 11:27 AM.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Sowed mizuna today
                Northern England.

Comment

A pinch of spring onion in a pot.

Comment

I've sown some more Blauhilde french climbing beans in modules to replace those eaten by slugs.

Comment

• Some chives, since all the plants in pots outside seem to have given up the ghost for some reason (probably forgot to water them too many times, combined with an infestation of blackfly)
                      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• I can't seem to get dill or garlic chive to germinate . Wonder why.

But have done sorrel, endive, spinach and mustard today.
                        Northern England.

Comment

• I've sown more spinach the previous sowings look a bit patchy.

Comment

• What carrots are folks sowing now?
                            Northern England.

Comment

• We sowed Nantes on 09 June & I'm planning on squeezing in a new row at the weekend if OH can be persuaded. I've got it in my head (who knows from where) that the 'early' carrots don't take so long to mature (same sort of principle as spud varieties)?

We did well from Autumn King (maincrop) last year from a sowing in the first week of July but they weren't really a pickable size until late September.

Comment

• I will try a few then
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X