Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a quick squint at the back of my packets - it seems to say sow to end of June on all the 'maincrop' ones and end of July on the 'early' ones.

We're only just into July so I'd say sow whatever you've got - the only certainty is you won't get any if you don't sow

Comment

• I like your thinking,
      Northern England.

Comment

• Sowed : I've gone mad today
        4 types of carrot
        Red spring onion
        Chard
        Red lettuce
        Some other type of lettuce
        Leeks
        Kohl rabi
        Northern England.

Comment

• Spring onions and radishes yesterday.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I threw some seed trays of used compost on the flower bed last week, i think some things hadn't germinated , not even sure what now.
            They have now germinated
            Northern England.

Comment

• Rocket, little gem, green salad bowl , rhubarb chard
              Northern England.

Comment

• Fennel

Found some old pkts of dwarf beans son have put them to Chit to see if viable.
                Northern England.

Comment

• I've sown bulb fennel the last sowings failed.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Swiss chard orange
                    Little gem
                    Pak choi
                    Beetroot bolivar and chioggia
                    Yellow dwarf bean rocquencourt
                    Purple queen and purple teepee bean
                    Climbing Bean blauhide
                    Kohl rabi
                    Rocket

Northern England.

Comment

• Did you ever manage to identify any of your mystery/impromptu seedlings from your 09/07 post Containergardener?

Comment

• As some of our summer/autumn cabbage have gone to the compost bin (too far gone with slug/snail damage), does anyone have any tips for what I could sow now to fill the gaps they've left behind?

I'm not bothering with spring cabbage (it's failed a few years running for us) and radish aren't doing their thing for us this year for some reason.

I have some Wild Rocket and assorted lettuce if I can't think of anything else more exciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andraste View Post
                          As some of our summer/autumn cabbage have gone to the compost bin (too far gone with slug/snail damage), does anyone have any tips for what I could sow now to fill the gaps they've left behind?
                          Pak Choi and/or Chinese cabbage. Kohl rabi.

Of course, the slugs and snails might/will go for them as well. But you can start them off in modules/peat pots etc. and put them out when they are less likely to be just wiped out overnight.
                          Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Thanks Mark Rand.

We removed the black plastic that we put down around the cabbage with a view to weed suppressing/water retention so hopefully (with a few pellets) we've removed the attractive habitat we inadvertently created. I'll still be starting in modules/pots though just to be on the safer side. x

Comment

• Sowed more red spring onions
                              Northern England.

Comment

• I intend to sow more chard as well as carrot, beetroot and lettuce not sure how they will do, but certainly wont grow if kept in the packet. For those Grapes who might be thinking its a bit late for sowing some veg if you have some open seed packets sow some to find out how they do with a late sowing
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X