Peas failing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peas failing

Again, here I am with peas planted out and already they look a sorry state. Sparrows pulling bits off the leaves and one plant found with no roots on the surface. I have to just face the fact I am not allowed to grow peas.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240602_133719_edit_1962467068533358.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	2579872 ​​​​​​
    Last edited by Marb67; 02-06-2024, 12:41 PM.

Sparrow families are foraging everything edible,even tho I’ve got seeds & fatballs they still want salad too for a varied diet I noticed,I had to cover my lettuce trug with a piece of fleece earlier,can you put strings or net attached safely or fleece somewhere?
    Last edited by Jungle Jane; 02-06-2024, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      Sparrow families are foraging everything edible,even tho I’ve got seeds & fatballs they still want salad too for a varied diet I noticed,I had to cover my lettuce trug with a piece of fleece earlier,can you put strings or net attached safely or fleece somewhere?
      I could but don't want to get them tangled up in it as much as they are causing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

I could but don't want to get them tangled up in it as much as they are causing the issue.
        I feel the same,I put net over it,thought of the young getting tangled & changed to fleece so they can’t get in. Maybe sow more now for spares to replace any. I’m about to sow more lettuce

Comment

I've started growing my peas under debris netting at least until the pods start to form, to keep the sparrows off. They can be very destructive and go for the soft new growth which contains the flower buds. Peas are self pollinating so you don't need to worry about letting insects in to pollinate the flowers.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'll sow more but I have hung compact discs around them as I think I remember it working for my runner beans.
            Last edited by Marb67; 04-06-2024, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I deployed some little plastic windmill thingies (the ones you buy for kids) on the plot this year & they seem to be deterring the birds. I think they look quite cute & colourful too. Although I noticed the 'old guard' rolling their eyes a little at the silly lady they at least did it with a smile

Comment

I've used old fashioned milk bottle tops strung along the row on black cotton - the birds can't see the cotton and the bottle tops rattle. Tin foil sort of works but tears and blows away in the wind, so bottle tops are better, if you can get them.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I managed to find some log bags netting and succumbed to using it. Now they look even more pathetic as it seems to be blocking light and harbouring slugs etc.

Too late to sow more now but can't they be grown on large pots next year?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240608_124620_edit_2104184971610692.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1,021.4 KB
ID:	2580187

Comment

Yes or in hanging baskets

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

Too late to sow more now
                      Its not too late to sow some dwarf peas throughout June

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post

Its not too late to sow some dwarf peas throughout June
                        You'll want a variety which is mildew resistant, though. Late sowings always succumb to mildew in late July or August otherwise.

Comment

Russrligo are mildew resistwnt. Havi g said that, all my pea packets say they can be sown in June.

Comment

Well, despite covering with netting and a CD hanging the sparrows were not deterred. All in all a pathetic crop. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240621_121647_edit_2469959701337170.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2580763
                            Last edited by Marb67; 21-06-2024, 11:26 AM.

Comment

They look better than mine,I’ve one pod from one plant that’s survived out of three plants,snails….I did sow more than three peas,I must’ve sowed a hundred in two large containers. I haven’t re sowed any but I did buy new seeds,takes time having to re sow when there’s so much else to do. I get on better sowing in the autumn after the tomatoes are pulled out,sow seeds in those spaces,meteor are good dwarf plants.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X