Disaster year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies.
    Planted loads of leeks but currently they all look like spring onions!
    One of my red lettuce plants has been nuked, munched down to the roots. Its neighbour (Had to look up spelling, stupid language) was untouched. Suspect not slugs.
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I can't tell between my leeks or spring onions either and where the labels I put in went I've no idea.
      Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
        I can't tell between my leeks or spring onions either and where the labels I put in went I've no idea.
        Leeks have flat leaves, spring onion leaves are cylindrical.

Comment

ameno fab thank you. Some gardener me
          Northern England.

Comment

Mixed lot here.

Basically everything's late, some things because I held off on sowing because March/April can only be politely described as 'pants' but others because they really haven't enjoyed the subsequent excuse for June/July (soooo much rain here and although often still warm we've had far too many dips in temp. for a lot of stuff's liking).

Worst showings for us - We've yet to have a tomato flower set yet (don't think they've got pollenated in the blowaway - closed up too often with the wet/cold). We've only got about 3 cabbage left thanks to the slugs/snails. Edit to add: radish have been awful - only 1 edible so far & the rest are bolting with a teeny red excuse for a bit of root to show for it.

Bonus points - the broadies are looking the best we've grown in our few years on the plot, we haven't been able to keep up with eating all the mangetout since they got going and I'm ashamed to admit I actually got a bit fed up of strawberries at one point. We've got quite a few fruit hopefully coming along on the winter squash (only had 1 individual fruit to harvest last year), we're still picking loganberries and tayberries. Late sown carrots seem quite happy as do the parsnips and brussel sprouts for christmas.

Mediocre - outdoor cucs don't seem to be doing much although they have set fruit they've not moved much, climbing FBs, dwarf FBs and gigantes only just turning flower to pods, no sign of our calabrese providing a meal any time soon, kale were slow to start but seem to be getting going. The swede look like they can't be bothered and the PSB much the same but I'm hoping they'll perk up.
            Last edited by Andraste; 25-07-2024, 03:09 PM.

Comment

My onion crop and bear in mind these are Japenese planted last Autumn. Absolutely pathetic! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240724_191610_edit_17982068831110.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	2582808
              Last edited by Marb67; 15-08-2024, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X