Detering cabbage whites

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detering cabbage whites

Well it had to happen. Plagues of white butterflies on my brassicas. I spray the hose at them to scare them but they come back! They just won't leave my plants alone DESPITE planting amid other plants. I have to keep rubbing the yellow eggs off all day. It's exasperating. Can't net them as its just impractical. Even after laying eggs they still come back. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240723_132323_edit_112458961173985.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2582435

And another thing, why are all the usual butterflies not showing up? Why does it have to be the only ones I don't need?
    Last edited by Marb67; 23-07-2024, 12:25 PM.

Cabbage whites are by far the most common butterfly, as their food plants are so varied and common.
    There's really no way to deter them. Cover the plants, squash the eggs, or spray with pesticide. Those are really the only effective methods.

Comment

I use a garlic spray which keeps both butterflies and snails of the brassicas as well as the lettuce
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
        I use a garlic spray which keeps both butterflies and snails of the brassicas as well as the lettuce
        You don't net your brassica at all?
        Can I ask how you make your spray?
        Northern England.

Comment

We always put a fine net/mesh over our brassicas but 'nextdoor' at the plot swears by diluting neem oil with water and spraying with that.

I've also heard of the garlic spray rary mentioned but haven't used that myself either - I'd also love your recipe if you've time to share

Comment

To make a garlic solution for spraying, I cut up several garlic cloves and add them to a plastic bottle(washed out milk bottle) if i use a full large garlic bulb i almost fill a 4 pt, milk bottle with water and then leave it for a couple of weeks, i generally give it a good shake every second day but not a must do if you forget, if you want your solution quicker, you can add the garlic to a pot of water and boil this for a time, but be warned it creates quite a smell and may lead to threats to life and limb🙄. Once you have your garlic solution filter it into a spray bottle I use an old pair of tights, any one who doesn't wear tights ask for an old pair as some folk go in the huff if you use wearable ones😕 when you have added the garlic solution to a spray bottle, if it smells quite strong some water can be added, but again not necessary, add a few drops of liquid soap to the solution, i use a plant based washing up liquid, this helps hold the solution to the leaves. Just to add, i have enviromesh but find the garlic solution better as it also combats the slugs and snails, it can also be used to combat lily beetles, black spot on roses and drenching the soil with it if you have problems with vine weevil, and most important very little cost to make
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I shall have a go thanks Rary
              Northern England.

Comment

I'll be having a go too - garlic spray sounds like the answer to all my prayers. The net/mesh kept the cabbage whites at bay (so far) but the slugs/snails have really given our cabbages a bashing despite little blue pellets!

I even sent OH out for a designated spray bottle this morning & he found would in poundland (for.....£1) bargain

PS also glad to be able to give a valid reason for why I stick old laddered/holey tights in a draw - I've been saying for ages that they'd come in useful for something one day

Comment

Thanks for the tip Rary- we’ve ‘almost’ lost half our crop of kale overnight due to caterpillars even though they are under micromesh
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I should have added that I spray once a week, if i remember🤔 but dont know how often you have to use a proprietary brand insect spray, though you are getting a multi use solution at very little cost, I have also found that it doesn't do well for peas and beans , I have just carried out a trial wirh my lilies where i had two showing signs if root damage, the bottom leaves were turning yellow, so i drenched the roots of one with the solution and left the other to see what would happen the untreated one has lost all its leaves the other though not in the best shape has flowered, if you find other uses for it please let me know

Comment

I have tried it and it kind of works although it is a dull, drisdley day here so hard to tell but only had the odd one. I'll have to give it time but thanks for the tip 🙂

Comment

Well as I haven't got 2 weeks to wait I left it soaking for just a day and that is pungent enough belive me. However I have to say there are multiple whites landing on my brassicas as the sun is out and evidence of laid eggs so from my experience it doesn't work.
                        Last edited by Marb67; 29-07-2024, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Keep spraying Marb67, especially if it was drizzly after the first application. Looking back at rary recipe, he recommended boiling for a garlic mix that would be ready more quickly so perhaps give that a try too?

My understanding with the neem oil spray is that it coats and effectively starves the eggs of oxygen by coating them as well as detering the butterflies so it's a two-prong defence/attack - I don't know if it's the same for the garlic mix.

Unfortunately I don't think there's such a thing as a 100% effective treatment - not even the non-organic stuff. We try to be super precise with fine mesh but the little darlings still find a gap somehow.

Comment

Yes I will do but it has def reduced them. I only used a small clove I can spare grown in the garden but it seems pungent enough.

Comment

No it's def not working as much more eggs than ever now and more butterflies. I can't keep up with rubbish g the stuff off all day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X