Uchiki Kuri, "onion" squash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uchiki Kuri, "onion" squash

I am growing these squash this year. I traded one of my glut of butternut with another plotholder last year in order to sample one and thought it was one of the richest tasting squash I'd sampled.

The 2 plants are doing well and a couple of the fruit look to be ready as they are a deep orange in colour.....but it just seems really early to be picking squash, even in tropical East Anglia.

Unfortunately I've not seen the other plot holder for some time to ask her advice, so was wondering if any of you guys from warmer European climes are growing squash and whether you've picked any yet.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Mine aren’t ready yet, but they were sown and planted out late.

Is the thick stem between the fruit and the ‘vine’ hard and brown? If so , it’s ready to take.
    Just remember to keep all that brown stem on as it will help it store up to 5 weeks or so.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	squash.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	2583179 Still a bit green then
      Last edited by Vince G; 05-08-2024, 01:35 PM.
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	squash.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	2583179 Still a bit green then
        I’d agree…leave it a bit longer.

Looking good though!
        Well done

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They are looking smashing! Very much in front of ours - we've lots of fruits but none so big or so orange as yours Vince G

Comment

Thanks guys. Bizarrely there are only 2 or 3 fruit on each of my 2 butternut plants this year, whereas I had 8 on each last year. Mother Nature is a fickle mistress eh !!
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

They look great, fantastic job! I used to have a bit of success growing those in Norfolk, but not so much since we moved to Wales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X