2024 - Gluts so far this year!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 - Gluts so far this year!

Just for your own record ( and because some of us are irresistibly nosy) , I thought you might like to share any gluts you have had this year?

My first one was lettuce - More than 12 ready all within a few days of each other
    Second was blackcurrants….never had so many on 4 bushes
    Third were the mirabelles…oh boy, my freezer is overflowing as are jars of vodka and jams
    Looks like the ‘attack of the courgettes’ is about to start…

How about you?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Lots of lettuce, raspberries and blackberries here.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

No gluts of anything this year...It hasn't been my best one so far.
      However, if the blackberries keep coming I might have a glut of bramble jelly. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mini cucumbers, always mini cucumbers. I just love growing them and always grow too many! Any good ideas/recipes for them please send my way!
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Just tomatoes this year. Cucumbers, Chillis and runner beans have been merely sufficient. But I live in hope .
          Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Strawberries, made a lot of jam.
            Padrón chillies in the polytunnel, meant to eat them small and green but got so many that there are a lot that have got big and red and hotter (think hotter and sweeter than a jalapeño)
            Normal peppers also looking good but only had one ripen so far. Had to stake some of the plants as too many fruit made them lean.
            Peas were decent, froze just about 8lbs.
            Obviously courgettes coming out of my ears like everyone else.
            Sweetcorn. Only grown to about 5 feet tall so growth is a bit stunted and they've branched out a lot, meaning smaller cobs but a lot more of them.

A lot of other stuff has been poorer than usual for me this year though, probably another thread somewhere where I can moan about that!
            Last edited by Vince G; 20-08-2024, 10:34 PM.
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I would have had a glut of blackcurrants, but after picking about two-thirds of them I went away for a week. Before I left the remainder weren't quite ripe, but when I got back they were overripe and starting to rot and fall off. I still got a pretty good crop from them, but not glut levels.

My Ben's Red apple tree is currently producing rather a glut, so much so that one of the branches is weighed down all the way to ground level. Clearly I didn't thin them enough (although I did thin them a lot, having removed some 80+% of the fruitlets in late June). It's the same with all of my apple trees; they set far to many fruit, and even after removing as many as 90% of them there are still too many left.
              This one, like most early varieties, does not keep well, so I may need to cook them up (although they're at their best eaten fresh).

I think I have a glut of tomatoes on the horizon, too. I picked another kilo today (that is, four tomatoes). It's what I get for growing 14 plants, half of which are beefsteaks, I suppose... Last year I cut them up, portioned them into 450g bags and froze them, for use instead of tinned tomatoes, along with making a lot of soup.

Comment

Lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, white currants and blueberries have all produced more than I could eat. Just started giving away handfuls of beans, mostly frenchies at the moment but the runners are rapidly catching up. The courgettes are threatening a glut in a week or so.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Lots of tomatoes this year and started in June which is the earliest I have ever had them, also cabbage and lettuce and though slow to start now having a glut of French beans
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Definite glut of french beans and mangetout (must plant less next year ).

All our broccoli was ready at once - too much to use up or give enough away - I meant to stagger the sowings but you know what it's like when all the seeds germinate & the plants look healthy

Do slugs count? We certainly had a glut of those in the cabbage patch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X