Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing comfrey for wildlife (bees) and fertiliser (tea). Several questions...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing comfrey for wildlife (bees) and fertiliser (tea). Several questions...

Hi

A confession first - I have written and asked about this a few years back, but things have changed, including forum members coming and going, so I wanted to ask afresh...

I have some comfrey growing in the garden. I think it is Bocking 14 but can't be sure. I predominantly want to use it for comfrey tea, but seeing how much the bees love it I want to make the best of that aspect too.

If it's ok, I'm just going to splurge a bunch of questions whirling inside my head. Apologies for asking so much. If any comfrey experts are able to help that would be great, but equally any help on *any* of the questions - or general discussion around the topics - would be much appreciated.

1. Is there any sure way to tell whether what I have is B14?
    2. If it isn't B14, how quickly - and how far and wide - would it have spread in the last 5 years?
    3. If it isn't B14, at what stage would the seeds be able to germinate new plants?
    4. I've read that the plants are most "nutritious" just as the flowers are forming. By waiting until after this stage, to allow bees to do their thing, how much of this plant "nutrition" is lost and how will it effect the tea?
    5. If I cannot determine for sure whether it's B14, when making the tea, is there a method I can use that will allow me to use the whole plant (not roots) without risking spreading the seed and a potential invasion? To date I have nipped off all flowers and seeds before soaking in water, but time is increasingly limited nowadays so being able to use the whole plant would be much preferred.

Huge thanks

I can't answer any of your questions but will be interested in replies as I bought some comfrey roots which are meant to be B14 and just planted them after them being in pots since late spring.
    Hopefully some knowledgeable souls will be along soon to provide answers
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

I have B14, it must have been in for over 20 years and remains in the same clump every year. I did put a root from it into the top of a dalek and that comes back happily every year through the compost. I harvest leaves, stems and flowers twice or three times a year, cutting them up and putting in plastic milk cartons, or fabric softener bottles (wide necks are easier), fill with water and use after about 6 weeks.
      I've no experience of other comfrey.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

If you have had the plant for five years and the plant hasnt multiplied, I would reckon you have Bocking14 as for the nutrition question I am sorry I dont know the answer to that, but I have collected "wild" comfrey from a near by field and have used it as young leaves, and mixed leaves with flowers, seeds and roots, and I have never noticed any difference, nor seed germination, I would think that any seeds must rot when steeped in water and when you consider that when using it, its a matter of judgment how much you use, so dont see any need to worry about loss if nutrition
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I just let the bees enjoy the flowers and as the wind blows the stems over I cut them off and leave them to wilt for a day or so and pat them into a mat and lay them down between rows of plants.
          The leaves turn black and stop the light getting to weed seeds. The rain washes the bits of the leaves down to the soil.
          I have never made any fuss about the variety. The seeds are less of a problem than many invasive weeds and pull out easily a few weeks after they germinate.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I have a clump that was given to me idea of the variety, like Plot i let it flower after that as the flowers are dying of I cut the plant down adding it to an old water tank. It soon rots down to make a feed.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X