No peppers on any plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No peppers on any plants

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240831_161502_edit_1444885933260256.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,001.7 KB ID:	2585033 I just don't get why oh why my peppers which are healthy plants in pots and in the ground have not fruited at all. Not a single pepper (yellow) on any of the flowers. An utter disaster 😔
    Last edited by Marb67; 12-09-2024, 07:09 AM.

If you have no fruit but you have had flowers, either there's been no pollination or the fruit have dropped off. But I think you'd have noticed the tiny fruit if they'd simply fallen off. No pollination is odd, though, as pepper flowers are capable of self-pollination.

The plant seems to be growing quite close to other plants, but leaving that aside, what struck me is that the main stem is very slender. When did you plant it out? Maybe it just needs longer to get into the swing of fruiting.

Comment

I would wager that the plant is not getting enough light and/or does not have enough root space.
      Pepper plants in those conditions will not set fruit. Flowers simply abort after a few days.

Comment

I have some in medium sized pots in the greenhouse, one in another South facing garden in full sun and all have not flowered.
        Last edited by Marb67; 13-09-2024, 12:51 PM.

Comment

What size is "medium sized"?
          Anything except dwarf varieties need at least a 5 litre pot. Anything smaller and you'll run into the same root space issue.

Although if they have not flowered at all, then that may be something different. Maybe you planted them too late, or maybe they don't have enough nutrients. What have you been feeding them with?

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
            What size is "medium sized"?
            Anything except dwarf varieties need at least a 5 litre pot. Anything smaller and you'll run into the same root space issue.

Although if they have not flowered at all, then that may be something different. Maybe you planted them too late, or maybe they don't have enough nutrients. What have you been feeding them with?
            Tomato feed and organic veg feed which I can't remember the name.

Comment

This thread from the spring explains what has happened. The peppers were late germinating,tiny seedlings in May & kept in the cold greenhouse throughout,the cold affected the growth,held it back from flourishing.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...chillies/page6

Comment

I checked back and Mine were sown at the end of December and the end of January, along with the chillis. That's with heated propagators and lights. So yes, a long growing season is needed.
                Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Mine have been bad this year with cold and low light , not enough sun but i had germination problems which I'd never had before, so ended up resowing late.
                  Northern England.

Comment

Is it worth cutting them back and trying to overwinter them indoors? At least they’d have a head start on next year?
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

^^^I've never managed that, how low do you cut back?
                      Northern England.

Comment

^^^^ I’ve never done that but there is an overwintering thread here ….

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...wintering-2024

Those are the grapes to ask!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks. I remember that now, will have a look.
                          I did get some but not many and they're still green.
                          Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X