Pathetic Potato harvest

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathetic Potato harvest

Well, here I am again. The clown gardener with a pathetic yield of red spuds from a large pot fed with 2 or 3 seed, organic potatoes fertiliser and a little bfb. Kept well watered and yet this........ 😭

I had to cut the foliage back as there were signs of blight but it shouldn't have had this effect. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240926_144617_edit_1818749223679770.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	2585803

Last edited by Marb67; 26-09-2024, 01:57 PM.

When did you plant them, and when did you cut back the foliage?

Comment

I can't rightly remember but it was cut about a month ago, leaving one bit of foliage unaffected.

Comment

Marb, were they first or second earlies.
        Were they bought from a garden centre or supermarket saved potatoes.
        That looks like a very poor return for two or three seed potatoes.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Second earliest from a garden centre. I would never use supermarket.

Comment

I have to assume they were planted too late.
            There's no way you should get that from 2 or 3 seed potatoes in a pot that size if it's kept fed and well watered when planted early enough (before the end of April), and assuming they were in a sunny position.

Comment

I Have some red Christmas potato's to plant with now long shoots growing from them. I haven't done it yet because blight is about and it got last years about this time.
              Last edited by Marb67; Today, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                I Have some red Christmas potato's to plant with now long shoots growing from them. I haven't done it yet because blight is about and it got last years about this time.
                You've left it far too late.
                Christmas cropping potatoes don't grow over the winter, it's far too cold for them. They grow over late summer and early autumn, then just sit in the ground (or pot) until Christmas. They need planting in late July or early August.
                They are, naturally, very prone to blight, and so can only really be grown either under cover or in regions of the country where blight is uncommon.

You're far better off just growing a salad potato which stores well (like Charlotte) and simply keeping the crop until Christmas. They'll taste just as good, and it's far easier.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X