When to sow Christmas spuds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to sow Christmas spuds

As blight is still around I am reluctant to plant my Christmas seed potatoes (can't remember variety but it said Christmas on the packet) in containers as this time last year I lost them all to blight (story of my life) so is it safe now if I put them in 5ltr buckets? I have to reuse old compost I'm afraid but will give plenty of organic potato feed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20241002_115545.jpg Views:	1 Size:	590.9 KB ID:	2586166
    Last edited by Marb67; Today, 01:00 PM.

If you want to grow potatoes for Christmas, they need to be planted in their tubs/bags in late July or early August so they can do their growing before the weather turns and daylight shortens in Autumn.
    If you pot yours up now, I would have thought they will just sit in the buckets till Spring and then start growing, if they don't get eaten or frozen and turned to mush if we get a cold winter.
    Last edited by peanut; Today, 01:15 PM.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

But they would have got blight if I had planted them then. Looks like I'll have to plant them in spring then
      Last edited by Marb67; Today, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you've left it way too late, unfortunately. If you plant them now the in all probability you won't get a crop at all, and you certainly won't get one for Christmas.

If you live in a blight-prone area then honestly it's best not to bother with Christmas-cropping potatoes. If you want homegrown potatoes for Christmas then just grow a second early salad variety at the normal time and then store the crop until Christmas.
        Last edited by ameno; Today, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X